Thread: Escaped tegu

Default Escaped tegu

So we had just gotten a new tegu. He is young less then a year old. I have no clue where this guy went. He is about 6 months old i believe and about 10" i believe. So he is a temporary cage, a bin with high sides. Ironically his cage comes in this weekend. But he escaped. He jumped the sides. And may i say i underestimated these guys. There is only one spot he could have jumped from is were the heat lamp is and it is pretty high but he managed it some how. And now i cant find him, and unfourtanatly our bedroom (which is the next room over) was completely filthy in the since there is clothes everywhere so i have been cleaning like crazy. I have checked our office form top to bottom were his cage is and nothing. Only thing that worries me is about 2-3 feet off the ground is a hole in the wall about a inch around. I dont think he could have got into it but i am still scared in the back off my head he did. IDK what to do. Just keep looking and cleaning? anywhere in specific a tegu likes to hide? Any tricks to find what room he is in? What to do what to do?

Help please!
    Ian

Also i have no clue if i posted this in the right place i hope i did.

EDIT: We have cats so i am keeping them in the main living area of our small house and not the back rooms near here cage. So i am wanting to move fast.

Try putting some food out and a basking spot. He needs food and warmth so he may find his way to that area. How long have you owned him?
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

They hide in dark places. Underneath desks and tables and any holes would be the first place I would check. My Tegu got out once and climbed into a hole in the wall. Then she just walked out an hour later, and definitely do what Reptidude said.
    In a society that had destroyed all adventure, the last adventure is to destroy that society.

OK. I will do that. I am currently at work but tomorrow I have the day off and I am gonna spmlend the day destroying the house looking. I just got this guy and right now he is on a diet of crickets. What is some good bait to get him out?

Fish has a strong smell or you could use some ground turkey or beef, that won't run away lol if he has any food he seems to be particular to I would say use that
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

Hi Ian. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. You got some very good tips from the others. I also recommend the fish. You can get some fresh fish filet. Cut it up into small bite size pieces and put them in some warm/hot tap water. Then put it on a plate and then on the floor. or you can use some hard boiled eggs without the shell ( unless you grind it up ). Look in the clothes on the floor, under any furniture he can get under. Some Tegus gotten into the couch. I found ours behind the fridge and another one under the microwave cart. Look where there are extension cords. They give out heat and some Tegus like to lay on it. Please keep us posted. Thank you and good luck.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

also you can try looking underneath the fridge my snake got out and was hiding under there.

Mine got out and I found him wedged under the enclosure so yours may have stayed close as well. Let us know how if it turns up for you.

So i took your suggestions. I put out a heatling lamp and i put out some fish and set a tiny at home trap and it worked wonders. Went in the room today to get some clothes and there he was. He was looking kinda skinny so i warmed up some telapia with some water and calcium and he gobbled it up in no time at all. He is fat now. So i found him. Yay. If you guys want i can post pictures of him later. Thanks for all the help guys.

Woohoo. I'm so glad you got him back and that the tips worked . Congrats. It would be great if you could post some photos of him. Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl