Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slight trembling after big meal?

Default Slight trembling after big meal?

I posted this on a different forum and I only got one reply. It's probably nothing, but I'm still worried. Tegu forums seem to be some of the slower forums on the internet :(

Hopefully you guys can either put my mind at ease, or give me some good advice. The trembling hasn't happened again in the 24 hours since I first observed it.

My tegu is just over 1 month old. He has a Powersun 100 watt bulb over his basking spot which is 6-12" away from the bulb, depending where he sits (through a screen). I spray his food with Zilla calcium supplement spray for about 80% of his meals. This morning I think I over fed him, more crickets than I meant to put into the cage got in there. I think he ate about a dozen. He got real fat.

After he ate his back and forelegs trembled slightly. This lasted about 15 minutes. I took him out and gave him a warm bath (he took a huge crap in it) while I tore apart his aquarium and removed every cricket. He hasn't trembled since, and his fat butt is in fact now looking all through his cage for more crickets. I don't like feeding crickets, really, since they seem to be one of the less nutritious feeder insects, but he goes nuts for them.

Could the trembling have been cause by him being simply stuffed? I can't imagine he isn't getting enough calcium, but I am going to stop using that spray and start using a dust just in case.

What are you feeding other than crickets and how often?
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Hi theDregs. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. It's hard to tell what it could be without seeing it. Just if you can could you please make a video of it if he does it again ? Thank you. I would switch over to the powder, too. One without the D3. I also would like to ask you what else you are feeding him and how often. You never can overfeed a young Tegu . When they are this young you can feed them until they are full. He will let you know when he had enough. I don't want to tell you what to do. But I do recommend feeding him in a dark, tall bin or in the bathtub. If you feed him inside the enclosure he could get impacted. Or if there are any crickets left in there that you couldn't find it will stress him out.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have been feeding him ots of different stuff. Superworms, dubia, crickets, earthworms, chicken liver, regular egg and quail egg with shell crushed into it, and ground turkey mixture which he mostly ignores. I sprayed everything except the turkey, liver, and egg.

He usually feeds as much as he feels like eating twice a day. The only time he ever stuffed himself to where it alarmed me was with the crickets.

Yesterday, for example, he had a quail egg in the morning, which he ate about half of, then when I got home in the evening I put 8 superworms in his bowl. He ate 6.

I recommend giving him the calcium with every meal that doesn't have bones in it. How do you give him the ground turkey, liver and the other meats/fruits/veggies ? Do you give it to him directly out of the fridge or do you give it to him at room temps or warm it up a bit ( not cook it ) ? If you want to you can try to cut up some fresh fish filets ( salmon, tuna, cod, cat fish, tilapia ) and put it in some warm/hot tap water. After a few minutes take a piece and squeeze it between your fingers to make sure it's not to hot.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I honestly don't feed the turkey too often anymore, because he won't eat it. He tries a bite or two, then leaves it alone.

I also forgot to mention that I have fed silversides a few times. I think I might start to so this more often, as they have plenty of calcium. He seems to like them.

I tried superworms with the new calcium powder yesterday. No go. He ate one, and he scraped that one all over the ground to get as much powder off as possible.

He is a horrible little prima dona.

Lol. He does sound very picky . When you used to give him the ground turkey did you put some water on it ? If it's to dry it can be very sticky and they will not eat it. I'm sorry, I can't remember if I have mentioned this before. But you can mix some hard boiled egg into the ground turkey. It always worked for me when I covered the entire meat with the yolk.

Our videos :

Unfortunately, he has decided he's too good for egg now too. He even turns down quail eggs. The only non live food he's interested in is minnows. I'm not too worried anymore, though. He gets lots of variety in his diet and I haven't seen a bit of trembling since that one episode. He does seem to be used to the dust now, which is nice.

I'm glad to hear that he is doing better now and that he doesn't mind the calcium powder. Thank you for the update.

Our videos :

He loves his yogurt, too.