Thread: New Tegu Gramma (can I claim that title?).

Post New Tegu Gramma (can I claim that title?).

My son brought home a Columbian black and white Tegu awhile back from a reptile store (still sad since I prefer rescues). Well, he is starting a new job so his girlfriend and I will be the primary caregivers when he is out of town. Only problem is.....we are both afraid of the Tegu. Not to worry though, we are both proudly putting on big girl panties and buying gloves later today. This forum has given us many great ideas. I am not sure how the dogs will feel about sharing their dog food though now that we saw that idea! So, if you need to smile today.... just know that somewhere in Minnesota there is a middle aged woman learning to face her fears and trying very hard not to shriek like a 2 year old.

And so the journey begins,
    Dee Dee

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new Gu. Also facing your fears, there's only one way to do that and you can't do it without trying. I don't know what kind of dog food you buy but it's usually not recommended as part of a tegus diet. Since they have a lot of fillers and additives that tegus don't need.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Hi Dee Dee. How are things going with Rosie ( the Tegu, in case others don't know her name ) ? Hope all is going well so far. I wouldn't recommend the dog food either. Maybe every now and then as a treat. Oh, one more things before I forget. Yes, you can claim the title .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I had to laugh out loud, literally when I read your post. You guys will make it through!

Txregirl is correct about feeding dog food. Reptiles don't do well with the extra corn and rice that is added to dog food. I will tell you that I do feed dog food and cat food to some of reptiles, including smaller tegus. The brands I feed are the type that you have to go to the Pet Pantry to get. Brands like Evangers, Origen, Wysong are designed with no extra products.

Here's an example of Evanger's ingredient list: Beef, Water Sufficient for Processing, Liver, Guar Gum
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets