Thread: Jumping tegu issue's

Default Jumping tegu issue's

Am i the only person who's pet gu like's to jump at there very expensive powersun lights and break them?

i went thru 2 bulbs recently thinking there was something wrong manufacturing wise because the connection to the light socket thing wasnt all there....meaning the light would be off and id wiggle the bulb and the light would flicker on an off. it got to the point were the bulb would be as tight as possible and the light would still flicker if moved. i thought it was the socket wires so i checked the connections and they were fine. my thoughts then went to the bulb itself thinking it was a disfunctional bulb after 5 months so i went ahead and bought a new bulb seeing how i had to get a bulb soon anyways.

i tightend this bulb to the socket and turned on the light and the bulb worked. i even shook the socket alittle and no flicking! i thought GREAT, all is fixed lol!

a week later i was in the same exact boat, but now with a brand new bulb!

i then changed this bulb out with a reg basking bulb (i have always had 2 m vapor lights in her enclosure until yesturday) until i could purchase another powersun with my next paycheck.

I was laying in my bed today when i heard a loud thump coming from the tegu's room. i walked in and the light was swinging side to side aggressively and who is looking up at me??? JAZZ....

She used to jump at her lights all the time when she was in a screen covered tank. i thought for sure it was to get out. she has been in this 7 x 3.5 x 4 enclosure for a long time now and just started this shenanigans.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM??????
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Use a light cover to keep her from getting to it.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    Use a light cover to keep her from getting to it.
    i dont think she actualy touches the bulb, other wise they would shatter in most cases rite? I think its more of her jumping at the dome and crashing into it that is making the bulbs malfunction. i think putting a cover on it wont do anything :(. she will still jump at it and it will break. so far these last 3 days i havent had a prob with her jumping (from what i know of).
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Light cage covers are pretty much metal frames that protect the light bulb, fixture as well as your pet from getting to it.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

The light bulb also can flicker or go off when you move the light ( or the dome ) to get the Tegu out of the enclosure ( if you have a screen top ). If you have a screen top you can clamp the light fixture to something like a shower curtain rod or a wooden closet rod. This will keep the light from sitting on the screen top and from moving if your Tegu jumps up.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Usually when my tegu is jumping all over the place I just take them out again and let them free roam for a while and put them back in when I'm leaving or when it's close to they're bed time so they can warm up again and bask for a bit before going down since I have they're lights on a timer
    1.0 Blue Tegu