Thread: Suggestions needed, for a rescued yearling Argentine B & W..

Default Suggestions needed, for a rescued yearling Argentine B & W..

Hi, I need a bit of help, with my new gu. He's close to a yearling, about 10-11 months old. He is alert (looking about, and tongue flicking). He ate, as soon I got him home, but he was badly cared for. He's underweight, maybe dehydrated, and had nearly a full body shed on him..
    I soaked him, in warm water, and got all the shed off, of him. So, how can I quickly, and safely get him, up to weight ?? Anything that can speed up the process, or stimulate his appetite ??
    **Future Tegu Breeder**

0.1 Chacoan Giant White Head Tegu (Storm)
    0.1 Colombian Golden Tegu (Cipher)
    1.0 Argentine B & W Tegu (Logan)
    0.1 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa (Jean Grey)
    0.0.1 Sulcatta Spur Thigh Tortoise (Colossus)

With proper care and normal feeding, and as long as it's healthy with no underlining issues it will gain weight in due time. No need for appetite stimulants and excessive feeding.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

bubblz is very right. When you feed him just let him eat as much as he wants. He will let you know when he is full. You can give him some feeder rodents two times a week. This is pack on some weight. Also feeder roaches.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Got him some new uv bulbs (2), 100+ crickets, & a culture of horned/tomato worms, for now... I also bought some Zilla jump-start, but since he has not refused food, I'll wait before giving it to him.. I believe he's just underweight. No signs of infections, parasites, or MBD.
    I'm happy I saw him, and got him away from his previous owner. He wasn't a bad person, he just had no tegu knowledge. I will appreciate him greatly, knowing his come back story. I love that he is so tame, and trusting, even in his condition..
    **Future Tegu Breeder**

Named him "Logan (Wolverine)", since he's a real fighter/survivor
    **Future Tegu Breeder**

20130928_132959.jpg
    This is Logan. He's a real fighter, with a good attitude.. Been giving him cut up chicken hearts, horned worms, wax worms, crickets, and 2 hoppers over the last 3 days.. Words for Newbies : Tegus need to eat EVERY DAY to EVERY OTHER DAY, at least until two meals can hold it. Two rat pups will never be enough. Crickets are what they need most, as hatchies/juvies. Rodents are a necessity, from the time they can take them.. Tegus require attention, emotionally, and husbandry/feeding wise..

Good Food For Gu's :
    Chicken/Turkey (hearts, gizzards, and livers), Ground Turkey, Ground Beef (sparingly), Rodents (mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils etc.), Crickets/locust/grasshoppers, fruit (mango, bananna, blueberries, strawberries, and grapes - use bananna sparingly- soft over-ripe is best), beef liver, and live feeder fish (not from a treated water source)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    **Future Tegu Breeder**

I'm so glad you got him. He is very lucky to have you. I like the name Logan. Thank you for posting the photos. He is very cute.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

What's the back story on this guy? All of those boneless foods mentioned are low in calcium and really high in calcium. Make sure that you provide plenty of calcium supplement to cover the difference. In my opinion, I would use at least 1 tablespoon per pound, but not more than 1.5 Tablespoon per pound.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I always put about a tablespoon of a calcium/reptivite mix in all ground meats, and I dust every other batch of crickets.. The only thing that I don't add calcium and vitamins to, is fruit.. Won't skimp on the calcium, until he's to proper size & health..

Logan is filling out faster than I expected. Already exploring my room (via an escape), and showing true tegu personality..
    **Future Tegu Breeder**

This is some great news . I'm happy to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for the update.

Our videos :