Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopted an adult B&W Tegu that has been fed only meat it's entire life....

Default Adopted an adult B&W Tegu that has been fed only meat it's entire life....

011small.jpgIt's a female just over 2 years old, 40 inches and 12.5 lbs
    The original owner bought it 2 years ago as a hatchling. Raised it on crickets, roaches, mealworms, king worms and pinkies when it was small and then shifted to mice, small rats, ground turkey and hard boiled eggs. But never gave it any fruits or veggies. It appears to be in good health, and I have been trying to offer it Kale, Romaine, grapes and a few other things, but it won't touch them.
    Should I be worried? What else should I try? And if any damage has already been done, what should I look for?

Maybe try adding the fruit into the ground turkey mix...might trick her into eating it Or what i have heard alot of people do is use some raw egg and pour it over the fruit.

Good ideas. I bought some ground turkey the day after I bought her, but then heard it wasn't as good for them as rodents and eggs, so it's still in the freezer. But if I can use it to make her eat better I'll thaw it out and give it a try. And the egg over veggies I'll try today.

You also can hard boil the eggs and mix it into the ground raw meat with some fruit that is kind of sweet like mangoes. You also can make baby food out of the fruits and veggies then put it into a syringe ( without a needle ). Then squeeze the fruit or veggie puree into a frozen/thawed rodent's mouth. She is a very big girl . Can you do me a favor please. Can you check on each side of the vent ( on the bottom part ) if you can feel any BB's/ small bumps. If you can feel them then you have a male. The jowls look a bit big to me for a female. But I could be wrong. What is the light colored spot on top of the head ? Is it a scar ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yes, it is a scar. When she was small he kept her in a 70 gallon aquarium with a screen top with weights on it. She would force her way out and sanded the top of her head raw multiple times, and it scarred white.

And I'll check that. I too thought she was very big in the jowls for a girl. But believed him when he said she was a girl. So basically like sexing a Bearded dragon? Two bumps, male, one in the center, female?

Ok, so I looked today. There isn't a bump in the middle, and there appears to be two bumps on the sides, but I don't feel hard bumps in there. And for clarification are you talking about them being on the body side of the vent, or the tail side? Cause these could just be fat bumps. I could take a picture, but you can't feel a picture.
    Last edited by Lee Chris; 10-10-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Nice tegu congrats there should be something looks like pimples 1 on each side off the vent if she does it's a male

No, nothing like that. So I guess the previous owner was right. It's a female.

I'm sorry for not responding to your question sooner. Here is a link to a thread I made. Hope this helps.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-s-a-male-Tegu
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

That is an excellent post txrepgirl. And it did confirm for me beyond a doubt that even as jowly as mine is, she is a girl.