Thread: Any tips? And pictures!

Default Any tips? And pictures!

Well I think I've only made one post since getting my tegu. It's not been two months since I've had Isaac. I believe he's a B&W argentine, but if anyone thinks anything else, let me know. He's been awesome He's a bit skittish but is overall active and friendly. He has a love for hard boiled egg yolks. I've had a couple questions, though. He's quite picky with what he eats. I don't know if it's normal he won't eat fruits and veggies? Any ideas what I could feed him? He's been eating lots of eggs, won't take too much for anything else. Could I give him raw/boiled chicken? I've researched on what he could eat, but half the things he won't take to. Also should I be putting calcium powder on his food?

Anyway, here's a few pictures. I have him in a 6x2, and he has a hot basking spot, and earth to burrow in. What's the overall humidity supposed to be at? I mist his tank daily but not sure if it should always be quite humid. I'm also going to get him a UVB light soon, I wasn't told he needed one even though it's logical. What bulb should I get him?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2.0.0 dogs
    3.3.0 cats
    0.0.1 tegu
    2.1.4 snakes
    1.0.0 gecko
    1.1.0 turtles
    0.0.1 scorpion
    0.0.1 skink
    1.3.8 tarantulas
    0.0.1 anolis
    1.1.0 ferrets

He is very cute . He is a Columbian Tegu. With the Columbian Tegus it's normal for them not wanting to eat any fruits or/and veggies. Some do and some don't. Other than that the diet is the same as for the Argentines. Yes, I would put the calcium powder on everything that doesn't have any bones ( like the feeder rodents do ). I don't recommend cooking the food for except the eggs. They eat all the meats raw. You can warm up the meat in a dish with some warm/hot tap water for a few minutes. I would use the Zoo Med Power Sun. It has everything in one ( heat, UVA/UVB ). When you mist the enclosure it would be good to stir up the dirt or mulch every other day. You could have the humidity at about 70%.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

https://www.hare-today.com/

that is an awesome website for lots of different hard to find foods!! you could try and find something from there!!

http://lightyourreptiles.com/

that is where i got my UVB T-5 Bulb Arcadia 12%

http://www.reptileuv.com/

that is where i go to get my other lights! heating and the all in one...the Mega-Ray® from the reading that i have done out performs the zoo med power sun.

http://www.amazon.com/16oz-Repashy-C...epashy+calcium

thats a good calcium and vit supp. all in one. Like what Txrepgirl said dust all the food thats not already high in calcium For example prey food(mice)

the Columbians are known to be a little more hard headed so more attention (Might) be needed to get him tame.

what you might want to do is get some ground turkey and mix some fruit and veggies in it, and see if he will take that..or mix it with his favorite eggs

Humid 70+ is a good level...but having a hide box that is higher % that gives him the option to go in n out to help him shed is a good idea.

He is a cutie, but definitely Colombian (T teguixin) like txregirl said. My two adults love to eat fruit, but I know that others will not. These guys do get quite attached to egg and will begin to refuse other foods. You can put a bit of raw egg yolk on top of foods he should eat to get him to eat new foods.

I keep my Colombians at an even temperature and humid. They are about 60-70% humidity, 120-130 surface basking area, 80 degree cool spot, 90 degree warm spot, never below 77 summer nighttime, 70 at night in winter. I like the PowerSun bulbs, too.

Looks like a nice setup you have there.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

And as for the calcium....I use the mantra borrowed from our member Tupinambis. Be sure to put plenty of calcium on anything that does not contain bones.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for all the replies Would anyone have a picture of a full grown columbian? I noticed they don't get half as big as I expected, still love my guy none the less He's eating more raw meats now, and eggs, and I've been dusting the calcium powder on his food. I'll pick him up a UVB once I can!
    2.0.0 dogs
    3.3.0 cats
    0.0.1 tegu
    2.1.4 snakes
    1.0.0 gecko
    1.1.0 turtles
    0.0.1 scorpion
    0.0.1 skink
    1.3.8 tarantulas
    0.0.1 anolis
    1.1.0 ferrets

I found this on youtube.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl