Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sausages

Quote Originally Posted by dpjm View Post
    These are pretty cool, nice way to get your tegu to eat things they might otherwise not. I like the different variety of meats and fruits and dandelion greens. And grasshopper!! There's a couple changes I might make though, if you are open to suggestions, which I assume you are or you wouldn't have posted here.

I would skip all the grains entirely, they are between difficult and impossible to digest and they contain anti-nutrients like phytic acid that bind with certain minerals and could lead to deficiencies in those. If you want more fibre, use fruits or vegetables, those are much healthier options for your tegu. I've even used freshly-cut grass for fibre. These sausages seem to mostly have adequate fibre without any of the grains.

I would choose a different green than parsley - really high in oxalates, could cause calcium deficiency. Dandelions are a good choice. Spinach and parsley are worst, I'd avoid them altogether.

I'd make sure to include some whole animal prey in the diet as well, like rats, week-old chicks, herring.

Overall excellent work on these. Most innovative thing I've seen in awhile.
    Sorry for the really slow response - haven't been on the forums much lately. I really appreciate the advice and I'm definitely taking your advice for this batch. I had researched the quinoa and heard that it was used really successfully with iguanas but ultimately it didn't prove to be very digestible so I'm not going to use it this time around. Same on the parsley - tried to do my research on the greens but that wasn't the best choice. I try to give him other foods at least a meal a week - Have a terrible time getting him to accept whole prey but I definitely try. Had to actually cut open a rat and stuff it with dried tuna once to get him to eat it /facepalm. Anyways thanks again for the input!

Pure incredible awesomeness. Very luck tegu.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Sounds great. Kind of weird that your tegu won't take whole prey, usually that is their preference - but each individual is a bit different. You have done a great job to compensate. If you have any more concerns or questions about the diet, just post and we'll be glad to offer advice.