Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple questions. ..

Default couple questions. ..

it's almost time to complete my cage, just a few questions to help me out on this. 1 would be where would be the best place stick the sensors for my thermostat? Basking spot would be on the far left of the cage and the heat emitter is about 8 inches to the right of center mass of the enclosure.

Also this is the vent im going to use, I bought 2 but I believe that would let too much heat and humitiy out.

If someone has a better idea for a vent im open to suggestions. Im curious as to where would be the best place to place my one vent?

Wow, that's a very nice big enclosure . The lights that you have in there are those just regular lights or UVA/UVB lights ? The UVA/UVB lights can't be to far away from the Tegu or he will not get any benefits of it. Same with the basking light. It's hard to tell from the photo. But is that a vent cover that you can open and close ? If not I would get one that can do that. This way you can regulate the humidity in there. I would put it in the top corner. Keep up the great job with the enclosure .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Wow, that's a very nice big enclosure . The lights that you have in there are those just regular lights or UVA/UVB lights ? The UVA/UVB lights can't be to far away from the Tegu or he will not get any benefits of it. Same with the basking light. It's hard to tell from the photo. But is that a vent cover that you can open and close ? If not I would get one that can do that. This way you can regulate the humidity in there. I would put it in the top corner. Keep up the great job with the enclosure .
    They are 2 4ft powersun 10.0 uvb bulbs with a heat emitter between the two. The vent actually is used for ac in trailers that comes up through the floor. It does open and close but wouldnt you think putting it up top would let all the heat out since heat rises?

I've actually sealed all my vents and even installed rubber weatherstripping around the doors of the cage. My cage is an 8x4x4, so maybe a smaller enclosure might need a little venting, I don't know. I have a 80watt heat rope underneath the substrate and a 250watt bulb for heat during the day.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1082044...eat=directlink Pictures of Tegu & cage construction

If you want it to be warm and humid in there you just close them off or just a bit. I would think if you have the vent lower the heat would escape faster since the vent is closer to the Tegu. The lights are to high up. I would check the recommended distance on the package of the lighting. I think it's 12" away from the Tegu.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I have a heat emitter up top...

It's more about the UVA/UVB being to far away.

Our videos :

Ok so I have made a few changes to the enclosure after our discussion. I mounted a swivel light fixture to the top of enclosure for basking. Now that I know he needs to be basking up higher im going to need his heat lamp higher. secondly i did away with those big vents. Im now using 2 pvc pipes maybe an inch in diameter mounted somewhere that will exit out the back of cage(not sure yet give me some help here) for a small amount of venting that way i dont lose all my humidity.

Mounting spots for vents i was thinking center mass of cage one towards the bottom and maybe one in the middle? or both side by side somewhere?

It's up to you. But I wouldn't use the pvc pipes for the venting. Because the end of it will always be open. In the winter time it wouldn't be so bad because your house would be more warm than in the summer time with the AC on and the cold air can get into the pipes and into his enclosure. With the vents you will be able to regulate it. I do like your idea a lot of having them in different areas .

Our videos :

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    It's up to you. But I wouldn't use the pvc pipes for the venting. Because the end of it will always be open. In the winter time it wouldn't be so bad because your house would be more warm than in the summer time with the AC on and the cold air can get into the pipes and into his enclosure. With the vents you will be able to regulate it. I do like your idea a lot of having them in different areas .
    My house is always at 73 or 74 even in winter. I can just buy caps for them if need it be