Thread: Tegu Swallowed Own Tail

Default Tegu Swallowed Own Tail

So my house is infested with fleas and I had to move my menagerie of pets over to my parents' house while I bug bombed it. I expected them to be there only around 7 hours while the bomb went off and I cleaned up after it. However, the bug bomb only seemed to anger the fleas and a day turned into two. After the second bug bomb I felt the flea numbers were down enough for me to bring at least my reptiles home. When I went to my tegus container, I saw it was empty and she'd left a trail of destruction behind her. Luckily, everyone else was okay and accounted for. I went to look for her and eventually my mother came home and helped me find her under a book shelf. I used my worried mom strength to lift the bookshelf off and away from her only to almost vomit seeing that my beloved tegus tail was missing, leaving an open wound. My mother assured me there was no way removing the shelf had done it before I went into a full panic attack and her statement was affirmed by the tip of her tail sticking out from my tegu's mouth. That gave me a new reason to panic, thinking she had bitten off her own tail which one of my leopard geckos has already done (I literally caught my leo with her tail in her mouth still attached). My mother calmed me down enough for me to catch her and put her in the travel tank I have for her. I got my mom to call the vet for me as I was shaking and stuttering too much to talk on the phone. We drove her over and after what seemed like an entire day the man came in. He told us we should let her try to digest it because no one believed that I'd seen it hanging out of her mouth moments before. My mom luckily got him to agree to put her under and remove the tail. He was amazed to find that, as I had said, literally half her tail was down her gullet. After what seemed like another forever she woke up in my arms and groggily began trying to find a place to hide. This morning she is home asleep after eating a bit of food covered in oral antibiotics last night and I'm dreading leaving her for class but I thought I should share this story as much as possible because we believe her falling from the table her tank was on was what broke the tail so if you have a tank your tegu could possibly escape from, put it on the floor. Thanks..1453382_10200181795467723_1591609602_n.jpg1003899_10200181793467673_646336774_n.jpg524099_10200181789827582_310767324_n.jpg

OMG. This is such a scary story. Poor baby. I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. But I'm glad she is OK. Thank you for sharing and please keep us posted.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

She/he is doing well. The tail is almost completely healed. She has started acting more like her usual self

This is some great news . Thank you for the update.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl