Thread: Stop Tegu From Biting

Default Stop Tegu From Biting

My tegu has been biting me pretty often, usually for no real reason besides thinking my fingers or toes are food. Is there a way to deter this behavior? I know with dogs you can buy a sour spray to put on things they shouldn't chew, is there something like that that for tegus? i haven't found much they don't like to eat except the unlucky stink bug he managed to snag the other day.

What kind of tegu? Argentine or Colombian?? How old and what size? all the ones I've had have been pretty calm. Only one has ever acted aggressive, but I was pestering him and he just had enough of me.....
    It's all fun and games until you lose your right to vote and bare arms!!!!

Do you feed him until he is full ? How often do you feed him ? How long do you wait to feed him after he started to bask ? Do you feed him life rodents ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Hes an argentine a little over 2 months. I feed him ground turkey i usually just load a plate up with it and let him eat until hes done. The only live thing ive fed him was crickets. And i feed him later in the evening after hes been basking all day.

I feed him once a day

Ground Turkey is not a good staple item for a tegu's diet. Preferably, feed whole prey(variety is key) and fruits/veggies. He's probably just hungry, as it doesn't sound like aggressive biting.

I'm sure, too, that it's because he is hungry. I know you feed him until he is full. But since he is basking all day and having to wait to eat that long his metabolism is very high. Please be careful that he doesn't start eating some mulch. Sometimes when Tegus are very hungry they eat the mulch or even their own poop. I recommend feeding him about one hour after he started to bask. This way his metabolism kicked in from basking for a while but he isn't starving yet. I know it's hard to do when you have to work/school. Here is a care sheet for you to check out if you like. I big variety is very important.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl