Thread: I find this very confusing, same time amazed

Default I find this very confusing, same time amazed

Some different species can work together, but I can never figure out witch ones because I had never had interest in that until now.

I watched this movie and was realy confused.
    After 1 minut and about 30 seconds, it is when I get confused.

There are three different species together, and no one is aggresive towards the other.
    Sailfin, water dragon, cyclura nubila. I dont know if they are females or males.

(they all come from different type of country, with different humidity and heat?)

Can different species live together if the space is enough ?
    Heres the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPaIznnPBBU

1) you are making a whole lot of assumptions that may not be true. Primarily that there are three different species together and no one is aggressive towards the other. We don't really know that, we only know what the person is showing us in the video, and most people doing this sort of thing probably wouldn't want to display that they've got problems. We just don't know the situation here. They may have been put together last minute for the video, they may exist quite peacefully together. Another assumption is that they are all doing well. They may not be (indeed, the sailfin looks to have nose rub, rather surprising considering what the enclosure appears to be, and the water dragon appears as it may have the onset of NSHP, but I could be quite wrong).
    2) You have brought up a good point about community situations: the concept of space. I'm often asked by people why it is that a lot of species live fine together in the wild but it is not recommended to keep them together in captivity. Part of it is space - they don't have any boundaries per se, if another species is being unacceptably aggressive then they can likely just get away. Another part is complexity of the environment. Wild ecosystems are typically immensely complex, with lots of different foods, hiding spots, resource distribution, thermal gradients, etc. Captive enclosures are typically barren, relatively speaking. Just because one sees this species and that species together doesn't mean they will do fine together in all situations.

Typically, community situations are to be avoided. The people that typically want to do it are those that "want the big happy family", showing a complete lack of understanding of the logistics and little respect for each individuals needs. It can be done, don't get me wrong, but it's not something that should be tried with carelessness (and too many people can't recognize when they're being careless). There are very significant reasons why research institutions are not allowed to do it, and why good zoos have to go through a lot of hoop jumping to do it.

Thanks alot for answer.
    My opinion is not to mix up species in captive, I fear what will hapen.
    The species maybe get along great first day, but what about second day or next week, or when one of them goes into mating season(cant always observate). I believe that you can never be to sure if they will accept each other or in worse case, there will be a fight(that can lead to death, while the survivor gets wounded).

May i ask: What is NSHP?

Nutritional Secondary HyperParathyroidism. What most people refer to as MBD (which is a little erroneous as MBD encompasses a broad range of diseases including NSHP)

thanks !

Mary christmas !

The person who made this video is a member here on our forum. She has a few big enclosures. So I don't know if this video was made from one enclosure or from a few of them put together. I was wondering sometimes, too, how some people can put different species together like the guy in this video below. They all live in the same enclosure.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Those lizards get along due to crap temperatures and a severe lack of husbandry. Nothing more, nothing less. If properly heated and kept, it would be a different story I promise.

I agree that most species should be kept separately. There are exceptions of course, but probably not many. I keep red-footed tortoises with a female green iguana. It works out fine but only because the enclosure is very large and has a top and bottom section - the iguana mostly stays on the top. I imagine that they would stress each other out if that were not the case. The environmental conditions optimal for both species (temps, humidity, etc.) are similar so there are no problems in that regard - but this is an absolute necessity for keeping different species together. The only issue I have with this setup is that the iguana will eat the tortoises' food which contains fruit and I don't want to give the iguana any fruit. I haven't come up with a solution to that problem yet.

I am definitely not advocating multi-species enclosures, I think most of the time they are not a good idea. I only gave the example I did to point out the key necessities of these setups. Large space, non-aggressive species that occupy different areas of that large space, multiple basking zones, multiple hides, and very similar environmental requirements.