Thread: Fire damage..

Exclamation Fire damage..

Today the heat emmiter in my tegus cage fell and caught on fire. This happened while I was not home but lucky my brother was and immediatly acted on it. He said that the heat emmiter fell and started to burn the substrate Which filled the whole cage mans house with smoke. They put out the hot and burnt substrate and moved the cage to outside. When I got home he was warm, breathing fine! not hurt at all but I'm worried that the smoke exposure might hurt him.... I had to go to work about an hour after. I've been gone about 6 hours and now he is usually sleepy and cold. He is still moving fine and reacting to stimulation just keeps his eyes closed. I'm now soaking him I'm warm water which he appears to be sleeping in though his head is put of the water and he's breathing fine. Should I be worried? He isn't acting weird for a lizard, just for himself and I'm worried the fire might have harmed him.... He wasn't burned or anything and I don't think it was a real flaming fire because his wooden cage is fine.
    Please any help would be so greatly appreciated!! I'm very very worried.

I can't really think of anything you can do with smoke inhalation. The good news is with him on the ground the smoke would rise above him and hopefully he wasn't breathing in much of it in. If he appears to be breathing and acting okay I don't think you have anything to worrie about. With the heater build a small wire cage set the heater in it and screw it to the top.
    It's all fun and games until you lose your right to vote and bare arms!!!!