Thread: TEGU EATING CYPRESS MULCH!! Anyone Ever Experience This?

Exclamation TEGU EATING CYPRESS MULCH!! Anyone Ever Experience This?

What's up Tegu family...happy holidays to all and hope Christmas was great...I had a question for anyone that has knowledge of or experienced this with they're tegus...I always used Coco-fiber for baby tegus when they're hatchlings or a few months after but then I switch over to Cypress mulch but I was always scared that some of my tegus might be curious and eat it which I usually see babies do since they're so curious...has anyone ever had this happen to them where they're tegus ate cypress mulch and if so what happened? Do they pass it out in a bile movement or does it stay in them? I know that this can cause impaction so I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this....
    1.0 Blue Tegu

Hi Ken. I lost Schatzi ( female blue/red hybrid ) because she ate a piece of cypress mulch. When I found her dead inside her enclosure she still had a small piece of the mulch in her mouth. I looked around in her mouth and saw on top of her gum some dried blood. We think that she got a infection from the mulch and it got into her blood. She was fine the day before. Spatzi ( her brother ) pooped in his enclosure one time. When I wanted to get the poop out I saw him eat a piece of mulch that was next to the poop. All the other Tegus don't do that. He did pooped it out. I'm going to switch over to top soil and moss.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yea I figured that's what the outcome will be...and I remember you losing one of your babies... : / I'm gonna switch over again aswell just incase because we will never know what they're doing in there at times...I'm always worried about Wapo eating something while free roaming when he can turn around and eat something in his enclosure...OH GOD! Lol
    1.0 Blue Tegu

Yes, it can be very scary. Schatzi who passed away ate a rubber cap of a metal spring door stopper before. She did pooped it out. Even if they don't eat inside the enclosure I'm still worried about the mulch.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I know the mulch worrys me too but I'm gonna switch over back to maybe a soul mix or a Eco-earth coco fiber
    1.0 Blue Tegu

Please let me know how it works out. Sorry for being of subject. Just want to let you know that Hope ( the white winged dove ) passed away yesterday ( R.I.P ). She was fine the day before.

Our videos :

@txrepgirl IM SO SORRY ABOUT HOPE! And I was just asking in case I go through this situation I know what to do...Wapo is doing great right now thank god
    1.0 Blue Tegu

Thank you Ken. I'm glad you are trying to be careful.

Our videos :