Thread: Green Drink / Smoothie - Yum!

Default Green Drink / Smoothie - Yum!

I make these really horrible green drink smoothies that are made up of at least 70% kale. I add other greens, fruit, and seeds like ground flax and other random things like Greek yogurt if I have it (didn't this time). Because it's mostly kale and greens they always taste like ground grass with an interesting tang of something else. I drink them for the health benefits but Guts really seems to enjoy the taste of them so I will sometimes give him a bit for some variety in his diet. This time I remembered to take a video. Here is Guts enjoying my latest concoction.

You are right, they do taste horrible . I make them, too. They taste even worse when I put some fresh beets in it lol. I'm glad Guts likes it. Have you tried mixing it into some ground meat ? I don't want to tell you what to do. But please be careful with using to much spinach in case you do.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Kale is high in oxalates too, so Guts doesn't get these that much when I use kale or spinach. I'll let him have them more when I have access to local organic collard greens and dandelion greens in the warmer months.

I'm afraid of putting beets in mine but kind of want to now haha.

Kale really isn't high in oxalates at all, although most websites claim it is but without actual numbers to verify. 100g of kale contains about 20mg of oxalates whereas 100g of spinach contains 970mg of oxalates (USDA info). The amount of oxalates in kale depends on the variety, but it's really not high at all. Your tegu will not develop a Ca deficiency eating kale.

Later on, I'm going to post a bit more about calcium, oxalates, and calcium:oxalate ratios.

If you add some lemon or lime to your smoothies or juice, it will counter some of the bitterness from the greens.

Interesting. I'd just read kale was and didn't give him much of the kale ones because of that just to be safe. Are they higher in red vs green?

Thanks for the info and the tip.

Not sure, although I know that different varieties vary in oxalate content but they are all relatively low. If you can find dino kale (black kale) that is apparently the best for low oxalate amounts.