Thread: Tegu jaw emergency release??

Angry Tegu jaw emergency release??

So today my tegu Sebastián once again got a hold of my work-out glove, which has a bit of rubber on it (which he loves to chew on for some reason). Anyways, he would NOT give up that glove, even when offered dead rat. I ended up wrestling with him for a good ten minutes, trying to pry his mouth open to get it out (it was starting to seem that he could actually swallow it, so I decided to try to remove it). So, in the future, is there any decent way to get a tegu to unclamp his jaw, or is it just an alligator death-grip? I fear the day I might get locked in his jaw... Thanks!

With snakes I usually put their head under running water or submerge the head in water. That usually surprises them enough to let go. It might work with a tegu as well, you'd have to try it.

When I put one finger on each side of the bottom and the upper jaw and squeeze ( kind of in the middle ) they open their mouth. I had to do it many times when I had to force feed them. Sometimes it works with just one hand sometimes I had to use both hands to open the mouth. One time our Spatzi ( blue/red hybrid ) bit down on his tongue so hard his jaws locked up ( at least that's what it felt like ). Doing what I have mentioned at the beginning he opened his mouth and his tongue was fine.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

the pressure on the side of the mouth works when he's not already biting down. I'll try the water next time - I bet it would confuse enough for him to open up