Thread: feeding chicken wings to tegu?

Default feeding chicken wings to tegu?

Hello everyone, im curious to see if anyone else feed's raw thawd whole chicken wings to there tegu's? I just want to clearify that Im not a noob on tegu's as i have had my Jazz for a year now and have gone thru endless hr's of research over the last year and have asked plenty of questions here when i had issue's. I love this forum and the people in it for being so helpful . Made me a 10x better tegu owner and have opened my eyes for danger's that could occur. Id like to say THANK YOU .

Now, on to my curiousity...does anyone feed there gu's whole chicken wings? The last couple of times i made buffulo wings, i had taken a couple raw wings (no seasonings obviously lol) and cut them in half to seperate the 2 bones within them. I then have fed the halves to my 16 month old female argentine and she happily takes them down. only reason for me cutting the wing in half to seperate the bones is that when its a whole wing, it seems to big and i rather her not have trouble taking them in.

The first time i fed a wing to her, i kept a realy close eye on her to make sure she passes the food without a struggle (mainly because i was a little concerned about how big the bones are compaired to her normal rodents). End result was as normal as feeding boneless chicken to her. i got the idea of feeding wings from a video i saw on youtube about a savvy monitor eating whole chicken legs. It got me thinking and i came up with chicken wings as they are a little smaller for her.

So, my curiousity is that, im interested in knowing if anyone else feeds there gu whole chicken wings? Any bad experiences with feeding, or digestion of the wing? Today marked the third time i fed her whole wings in about 2 months. Each time prior she was 100% fine.

thanks for any input guys n gals!!!
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Hi, glad the forum has worked out for you.

I don't really see a problem with chicken wings - it is better than just chicken meat because of the bones and skin are present. I would want to make sure there are absolutely no added ingredients to the wings, but you said no seasonings.

Unfortunately, the commercial chicken wing industry produces a product so full of antibiotics and growth hormones from chickens fed absolute garbage, that unless you are using chickens from a respectable operation that does not poison their birds (and you and your tegu from eating them), I would avoid them entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by dpjm View Post
    Hi, glad the forum has worked out for you.

I don't really see a problem with chicken wings - it is better than just chicken meat because of the bones and skin are present. I would want to make sure there are absolutely no added ingredients to the wings, but you said no seasonings.

Unfortunately, the commercial chicken wing industry produces a product so full of antibiotics and growth hormones from chickens fed absolute garbage, that unless you are using chickens from a respectable operation that does not poison their birds (and you and your tegu from eating them), I would avoid them entirely.
    Thank you for your reply dpjm. The wings i fed her were raw/thawd, rite out of the same package as if it were a breast or a leg. Not the wings you would get frozen in a bag with a count of like 50 or something. this package was legitimately a few chicken wings lol (10 i believe).

I'm with you 100% about the industry producing product's full of antibiotics and growth hormones. I actualy buy free ranged/cage free, no antibiotics or growth hormones and vegie diet chicken and grassfed meats with no growth hormones (as the packages say lol). The chicken and meats can get very expensive, but are so much better for you. These wings are from the same company that i have been feeding her since she was 3 months old. I trust them enough to keep feeding/eating there products.

I was most interested in any comments/stories about the bones being to big for her. The last wing feedings haave had no abnormal affects on her....but that doesnt mean that she could possibly get impacted with the bone from her next wing. As of rite now, i still feel that whole wings in moderation is still ok for her. I thank you again dpjm for your reply to this post

This is a link to the product i buy: http://www.perdue.com/Products/detai...&title=PERDUE® Fresh Chicken Wingettes

i cut the wing in half in the middle of the 2 bones to seperate the 2 into pieces that can fit into the tegu's mouth and so each piece will have one bone in it. I havent fed her any leg sections of this package. Just the normal wing cut in half.

I don't think it should be a problem. Bones are pretty digestible for a tegu and it will provide tons of minerals which will do your tegu nothing but good. Bird bones should be especially easy to digest since they are essentially hollow. I have never seen an impaction caused by bone, usually some other indigestible material.

Great to see you are supporting responsible farming and not buying the cheapest crap out there.

I'm so sorry for taking so long to reply. Welcome back and thank you very much for the very nice compliment . I'm glad we can help. Since she doesn't have a problem with digesting the wing I don't see a problem with it. The bones are actually very good for her because it's natural calcium. There just isn't enough meat on the wings :( . One time I ordered some chicks that were way to large and I had to cut them up ( frozen/thawed ) and the wings were the same size as the ones you get at the store. Our Tegus and black Throat Monitor didn't had any problems with them either.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I would feed them cut in half, like you are. I also feed mine chicken necks in the summer when the temps are warm enough to make sure they digest well.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets