Thread: Trying to work though impaction/constipation

Unhappy Trying to work though impaction/constipation

Hey guys,
    It seems like these Tegus run into more problems than a 90s Mercedes.
    So, Sebastián had chewed up his temperature gauge beyond repair. Two weeks ago, I found his humidity gauge chewed up, but I couldn't find the inner part - the part with the metal facing and dial. I stuck with feeding him soft foods (eggs) but that Saturday he was literally chasing my feet because he wanted rat, so I gave him a small one.
    After a week I took Sebby to the vet. His behavior and appetite so far hadn't been affected. He was a bit bloated, and weighed in at one pound heavier than normal. The vet said that at this point, the best thing to do is wait and see - he said I could get the X-ray but it "wasn't an emergency situation" yet. He felt around his abdomen - he said he felt something small, maybe the rat head, or maybe the thing he ate - but he didn't feel that it was dangerously big. He said he might just poop it out, but if his behavior changes, I would need to bring him back. So I took Sebby home and played the waiting game.
    So far he is still acting and moving about quite normally. His appetite is the same, but I haven't fed him a rat in over a week, because he is still quite bloated. Been sticking to egg and soft meat. I bathe him twice a day. He pees twice a day, and once a day he actually makes some poop - small and not really solid. This leads me to suspect that he is only being partially impacted - some food is still getting though (which is good). Hopefully that thing is being slowly pushed out.
    I know a lot of you have dealt with this and if passable, it takes time. I've just started him on a teaspoon of Mineral Oil daily. Is there anything more I could be doing for him? I massage his belly in the tub. Is there a specific method to that? Should I still avoid feeding him rat? Or could that just push everything on down??

Oh also, I was wondering, do these Tegus throw up? Part of me wonders if that thing even made it past his stomach, and I wonder if he could simply regurgitate it. Can you somehow make one of these guys throw up (if it could help)?

I've been feeling around in his stomach, and if it is something I've feeling, it feels like it's in the upper part of his torso, maybe the stomach? It's not pointy, and I can't tell if it's just the rat or what. It doesn't seem stuck in one place so much though.

I really wouldn't think it's the rat, your tegu should have no problem digesting that minus the fur and claws. There's no reason why it should be a noticeable lump especially after a week or two. If your tegu swallowed a piece of metal and it is still high in his digestive tract or if you think this is even a possibility I would fork out the cash for an x-ray. If it is a piece of metal it has been in his system for a while now and is doing no good, possibly doing physical damage, causing impaction, and the metal may be leaching into his system. I would find out for sure.

Is there any way to try to get him to regurgitate before shelling out the $200+ for the ex-ray plus second doctor's visit? Is surgery really the only way to get something out of a Tegu?
    Also, does anyone know why a tegu would do something as crazy as eating a Hydrometer? I mean, they're SUPPOSED to be part of the inside of a cage. I'm so overwhelmed by how many problems you can get into while trying to do the right thing for your pet...

I know how you feel. They do get into everything. Our Schatzi ( R.I.P ) ate a rubber cap of a metal spring door stopper one time. It took her one month to poop it out ( two vet visits and some x rays ). Since it's something small I have high hopes that he will poop it out. I am worried about it being metal. I don't know if the metal could be toxic to him or not or if it could damage the intestine. You are doing everything right so far. When he is pooping does he look normal or does he look like our Schatzi in the video below ( wiggle side to side ). Did you look around in the enclosure to make sure the missing pieces are not inside the mulch ?

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Well it's been a crazy few weeks, but Sebby is okay. After waiting a week or so, I got the x-ray - incomprehensible. Not only did he have his entire Hydrometer in there, he also had a bit of bark, and A LIGHTBULB he ate when he escaped some two weeks prior.
    Needless to say, surgery was the only option, which was successful, and now he is recovering well with a stitched-up belly. The Vet said the Pica (eating weird things) was due to some nutritional imbalance - he hadn't been getting enough whole prey food. So I went online and saw RodentPro, which was having a huge sale, and now my freezer is full of 200+ rats and mice!
    The whole procedure, including the original visit and x-ray, was only $1200, so I definitely got a deal. Friends and family were very helpful (I'm a lowly grad student!)
    Here is the insane x-ray.

xray.jpg

All that mess has been removed, and he is now eating and pooping fine! Stitches will be out in 2 more weeks.

wow. This is crazy. I'm so glad that all turned out well. This is one big piece of object in him. Thank you for the update and the amazing X-ray.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl