Thread: Tegus & Small Dogs/Animals?

Default Tegus & Small Dogs/Animals?

My wife & I are considering getting a B&W male argentine & we have two dogs. One is an 11 year old, 6 lb chihuahua that sleeps a lot. The other is a 7 yr old, 12 lb chi/terrier mix who is pretty spunky. Both are very sweet. I also have a bearded dragon that they are cool with.

I would build a proper enclosure if I did get a tegu, however I would like for it to free roam as much as possible. Is this a bad idea with other small dogs/pets around? I realize that all animals are different & ultimately if they have a mouth, they can bite. But how often does this happen with tegus?

In any case, I was thinking I would only allow the tegu to free roam the house under supervision & allow it to free roam the bedroom with his enclosure in it, while I'm not home. I'd like to get the tegu as young as possible & spend lots of time with it around the dogs. I'm assuming this would help it get used to the dogs.

Is this a valid concern? Can anyone report of dogs or other pets being attacked by their tegus? Thanks in advance.

my 2 tegus are great with my dogs. its good to get them young so they know the dogs. I was more concerned with dogs hurting them but they were just curious about the tegus. The tegus were just a bit nervous but got use to them. Should have no worries just supervise them and introduce them soon as your tegu is settled in.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. You know your dogs better than any one else. We had one dog who was very good with all of our pets ( Tegus, birds, cats ... ). But our other tow dogs we kept them away from other pets ( they are hunting dogs ). I have seen many videos and photos of Tegus being around dogs.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for the replies. Hoping to pick up a baby Tegu this summer!

Your welcome. I don't know if you already know where you are going to get your Tegu from. But in case you don't here are some great Tegu breeders.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-Tegu-Breeders
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

My dog and tegu never got a long I got my tegu with a little size on her so I didnt want to try to get them use to each other and my dog has a high prey drive, so it all depends on your animals
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.