Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcement

Default Public Service Announcement

Not sure if this should be here, or in general care...

I'm new here, decided to sign up today with a PSA
    Don't leave tegus in water unattended...
    My red tegu drowned...
    Prior to this, I had researched if it was safe to put tegus in a tub, and all the data I have come across stated they are excellent swimmers and they can hold their breath (and remain underwater) for a *very* long time
    So, to get them nice and wet, I put them all in the tub every other day...they swim float etc
    Today, my red one, was submerged I thought it was holding it's breath, so I left it alone...
    I went back and it was still under so I picked it up and it was limp...dead.
    I'm angry, sad etc I have no idea how it could have happened
    It looked so unique as well, not like most of the ones I have seen pictures of
    RIP little one...
    I'm sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hear this, but I have as well told people that tegus are not the best swimmers. Some can be, but my experience is that, similar to humans, if they don't have the proper exposure, then it can be a real hazard. I've seen many tegus drown, but the prevailing mindset among hobbyists is if one person has never had a problem with tegus swimming, then no one will have a problem with tegus swimming.

Hi al914. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. I'm so sorry for your loss. May he R.I.P and may God give you comfort to your mind and healing to your heart.Thank you for sharing your story. You can leave your thread here in the normal discussion. I know you are going through a very heartbreaking time right now. But if you like you can put his in the link below. He/she was very good looking.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.php?9199-Tegu-Heaven

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    Sorry to hear this, but I have as well told people that tegus are not the best swimmers. Some can be, but my experience is that, similar to humans, if they don't have the proper exposure, then it can be a real hazard. I've seen many tegus drown, but the prevailing mindset among hobbyists is if one person has never had a problem with tegus swimming, then no one will have a problem with tegus swimming.
    I think that's where the misinformation comes from - Thanks for your response, I wish I knew you sooner.

thank you txrepgirl
    I'll probably add a photo soon...
    I;m saddened..but angry at myself too - it was senseless and totally preventable.
    I more upset at the documentation that's out there as well

Your welcome. I understand that you are upset with your self. But don't be so hard on your self. Everyone makes mistakes. I know I shouldn't leave our lizards ( Tegus and black throat monitor ) alone in the tub. I have been doing this since 2007 and so far so good. I always make sure there is a shallow part in the tub that they can go to. The deepest part goes up to the armpit.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Really sorry about that.. Hope you feel better soon.
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Your welcome. I understand that you are upset with your self. But don't be so hard on your self. Everyone makes mistakes. I know I should leave our lizards ( Tegus and black throat monitor ) alone in the tub. I have been doing this since 2007 and so far so good. I always make sure there is a shallow part in the tub that they can go to. The deepest part goes up to the armpit.
    Thanks, I just wish my mistake didn't cost a life.

I saw the video of your Tegu on the bed... aren't you worried about him/her peeing?
    I ask because I used to sleep with mine and it either wet the bed ...or me lol

thanks GLK832 - much appreciated.

If it helps, your mistake may have saved my baby's life. I leave her in the tub all the time alone. I will not anymore. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm sorry about your loss, I understand how it feels to feel like it's all your fault they died. I left the handle on my sandboas' enclosure open and one got out and was brutally killed and eaten by my lil girl. I had to clean blood up to 3 feet on the wall. So <3 everyone makes mistakes, even ones that can cause the worst outcomes. But know that now, you'll never make it again. Again thanks