Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Colombian tegu.

Default The Colombian tegu.

I lost my red tegu to organ failure on January 20th. I miss owning a large lizard. I've heard rumors of Colombians being generally more aggressive but I've also witnessed just the opposite. I have a ton of spare time of which I could be spending working with a Colombian tegu. My local reptile shop has some healthy, active babies who don't mind getting picked up and moved around their small prison. I've always loved the way Colombians look and I'm up for challenges. I'm not afraid to be whipped, bit, or scratched. I just want to know if anyone here has had experience with these lizards. I'd love to read your experience with them.

Hey Joseph,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I haven't personally owned a Colombian, but i can confirm what you've heard, as well as what you have witnessed.
    Most people comment that Colombians are more aggressive, though i have seen, and held many that are calm and docile.
    I've also seen my share of aggressive Argentine Tegus. I think its a combination of the particular animals personality/ability to trust you, and your ability to put in the time to build its trust. Some won't ever trust you, while others Argentine or Colombian will come around fairly quickly.

If you're able to handle them at the reptile shop thats a good start, though tegus do occasionally change their attitude once you have them in a bigger enclosure that they consider their home.

I'm sure someone who has had a Colombian or two will chime in to give you more firsthand experience/feedback.

Best of luck with your next Tegu!
    1.5 Ball Python
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko
    3.2 Argentine Black and White Tegu

Thanks for your input draco. I'm going to be picking up the baby Colombian today.

Best of luck! Can't wait to see the pics of the new little one!
    1.5 Ball Python
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko

image.jpg

Here it is!

Cute little one!

Very Cute!
    1.5 Ball Python
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko

I'm very surprised with this one. Last I saw of it, it ran away from me in its new enclosure (As to be expected.) It slept through all day yesterday, again, expected. Today I saw it peeking out through the dirt just staring at me while I misted the enclosure. If I bring foreign objects into the enclosure it runs off, extremely fast. But when I approach it with an open palm slowly, it lets me pet it. No heavy breathing, no defensive warnings. It let me pick it up to move it into the feeding bin I have and it even ate a bunch of crickets. Not bad for a farm bred Colombian tegu on its third day in a new environment.

Thanks for the update, and Congrats on the progress!!
    1.5 Ball Python
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko

First I would like to say I'm very sorry for your loss. May he/she R.I.P. Congrats on your new Tegu. Sounds like everything is going very well. He/she is so cute . Thank you for keeping us posted and I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl