Thread: tegu jelousy?

Default tegu jelousy?

I have 2 blue tegus that get to roam my house. We have had the female for 2 years, she is about 2 1/2 years old. We have had the male for 1 year now, he is about 1 1/2 years old. They have always gotten along great. They are waking up from hibernation now. We have been offering them food every other day now. The female has not eaten large amounts of food in the past few weeks but she has been acting like she wants to eat the male and has been caught opening her mouth at him. We thought she was hungry so we thawed a rat for her and she would not eat it, nor would she eat scrambled eggs (usually her favorite). But she is still acting like she wants to eat the male. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.??

Default tegu jelousy?

Sounds like she may be gravid. The females can be aggressive during this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honesty I don't know why she is doing it. I had a female that did the same thing and she wasn't gravid or mean. I never had the together to see if she would bite him or not. Usually males do this during breeding season.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Leonidas couldnt care less

Thanks for the input. I really don't think that she is gravid. She is a very sweet tegu usually. I personal think that it jealousy. She was the first tegu that we bought and she is use to a very spoiled life. I'm thinking that now that he is getting bigger she sees him as a threat to her attention. I really hope that this is a temporary behavior as I do not want to have to keep either of them caged, and in my current living situation I so not have separate rooms to put them in.

Your welcome. I'm not saying that you are wrong about her being jealous. But our Schatzi was silly like this without another Tegu being around her. Does yours just do this when he is around ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

hillmans. You are so right about that. He is so mellow. One time Zeus ( he is smaller than Leo ) bit him on the leg and Leonidas just walked away .

Our videos :