Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my 1st Tegu

Smile Getting my 1st Tegu

Hi. Im Chaos-Carl im hopeing to get a Argentine B&W or Red Tegu. But I have somethings I don't know much on like , Hibernation/mites. I have 2 snakes and had a green iguana. never had a reptile that went in to Hibernation. ive looked over any site or forum I could find even this one, couldn't find much on it other then some tegus do and some don't and the time they can go under for range's 4-7 mouths.

as for mites none of my reptiles have ever got them (thank god or just dum luck) but what I know about them is there somewhat like flea's just not like them. I live in Las Vegas and fleas don't do so well here. but does this mean the same for mites?

other then that I know a lot about there diet and housing needs and I have both Enclosure's ready for when I get the little guy or girl.the smell one is 3x3x2 and the big one is a 6x3x3 with a out 2ft top and a 1ft bottom for easy cleaning. both Enclosure's have front facing glass doors and open/closeable vent's for me to help raise or lower the temp or Humidity if needed.

but like ive said before I live in Vegas and most pet stores here I would step foot in unless I have a vary hot bath before entering my home. I know some good place's to get tegus from this forum.
    ive never had a reptile mailed in before and I have my fears about it. but I might be over thinking it. if anyone has done this let me know what you think it would help my mind.

thanks for any help or tip you give me

What up Chaos-Carl Good to see new people on the forum. Welcome to the Tegu Community Everybody here is very nice knowledgable and helpful.. Hibernation/Burmation depends if you buy an import or captive bred.. Import being from the southeren hemisphere season will be opposite.. My tegu was captive born bred so she started hibernation in december and get up around March-April so An import would do the reverse if Im wrong someone pls correct but that s my understand.. While in hibernation you short the light cycle for short winter days.. They may come out for basking too.. if you notice the tegu going dont dont feed it because if its in hibernation it will not be apple to digest the food..

Mites..I have about 16 ball pythons and have never had mites.. I believe it all depends on the type of substrate u use and I've never heard of tegus having mite issue. If you are using cypress mulch as sub you will notice lil bug in it from time to time I usually soak mine to kill as many as possible before I put it into the cage and to provide proper humidity..

The cages is good depending on your tegu.. if it grows while it may require bigger than a 6'3'3.. But you off to a good start from what you have in your message..

I have had all my animals shipped through the mail and have never had an issue just make sure the person shipping is responsible.. I would reccommend buying from a reptible breeder that is a customer to shipping animals but again things happen so you have to just pray LOL.. But you will be fine it will feel like forever from the time you get the confirmation until you get the box.. I reccommend shipping to your closet hub if its coming fedex my hub knows me by name so they take care of all my critters.

Good luck post pick of your baby when you get it.
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

thanks a ton glk832.i want captive bred/born just trying to find a good place to get one. sadly no breeders here in Vegas so if anyone knows of a good site/breeder let me know.

as for substrate I plan on using a soil/sand blend. cypress mulch is a no go for me ive had bad luck with it in the past with my snakes. if anyone knows a good mix for soil/sand let me know

and thanks for the mail-in talk still some fear but I hope it turns out good for me when I find a place to get one

A lot of people are moving toward soil/sand mix and making their own. It works well for tegus.

Mites can come from a variety of issues. I've only had to deal with mites twice. Both times it was from snakes that were given to me.

I've shipped tegus and had them shipped to me. If you have a good shipper, it is not a problem. It is a common thing to ship reptiles.

Baby tegus will not be hatching until May-August, depending on when the parents bred/laid eggs.

Welsome to the forum!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hi laurarfl. how would I find out if I have a good shipper. I have had somethings shipped to me before from fedx. both times I had problems so this is where my fear comes from.

glad to know I still have a bit of time till most sites/breeders get anymore hatchings in, thanks.

what places did you get your tegus from if you don't mind me ask?

Underground reptiles tegu terra. Never heard anything bad about tegu terra underground a few. But i have never done business with either

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

thanks glk832 ill give them a look and see what I find XD

Hey man I talked to ty park the other day said he has blk/whites and red coming in June Blk-125.00 red 150.00 his email is Ty Park

do you know of a link or site I can look at I don't know who this TY Park is "PM if you know"

Pm sent

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk