Thread: safe wood/paint to use for building tegu home

Default safe wood/paint to use for building tegu home

does anyone know of what type of wood/paint that I cant use for making my big enclosure was going with a 6-L 4-T 3-W but now I made some room in my room its going to be 8-L 4-T 3-W

but I don't know what kind of wood or any safe paint to use don't want to hurt the little guy when he grows up for it.

any info will be vary helpful thanks XD

Toxic wood Pine and Cedar of the top of my head.

I found this on another forum

I suggest regular plywood (no softwoods, like pine or cedar) and then paint with low VOC - non toxic, silicone edges and then seal with a polyurethan or drylok to water proof it further. In the end, it will save you money because plywood is cheaper and will last longer than melamine. Hope this helps.. ANd I talkd to Underground reptiles they got blk and white tegu eggs yesterday.

There are certain colors of paint you need to avoid, no matter what the vehicle is (vehicle is what the substance is that the pigment is in, such as oils, the plastic in acryllics and the water in watercolors). Many of the pigments themselves(pigment is what makes it a certain color) are toxic.

More paint info.

Dont use any of these
    Barium Chromate (Lemon Yellow, Barium Yellow, Yellow 31) Contains barium and soluble chromates
    Chrome Yellow (Chrome Lemon, Lead Chrome, Yellow 34) Contains lead and soluble chromates
    Zinc Yellow (Zinc Chromate, Yellow 36) Contains soluble chromates
    Naples Yellow (Lead Antimniate, Antimony Yellow, Yellow 41) Contains lead and antimony
    Flake White (Cremnitz White, Lead White, White 1) Contains lead
    Cadmium Yellow (Yellow 37) Contains soluble cadmium
    Aureolin (Cobalt Yellow, Yellow 40) Contains soluble cobalt
    Vermilion (Cinnabar, Red 106) Contains mercury compounds
    Cadmium Red (Red 10 Contains soluble cadmium
    Cobalt Violet (Violet 14) Contains soluble cobalt
    Manganese Violet (Permanent Mauve, Violet 16) Contains manganese and barium
    Prussian Blue (Iron Blue, Milori Blue, Bronze Blue, Blue 27) Contains cyanide compounds
    Cobalt Blue (Kings Blue, Blue 2 Contains soluble cobalt
    Manganese Blue (Blue 33) Contains manganese
    Cobalt Green (Green 19) Contains soluble cobalt
    Nickel Azo Yellow (Green Gold, Green 10)
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

thanks so much this helps me out a lot I wasn't sure witch was best never made a enclosure before the ones I have for my snake I didn't make them. they are pre-made and shipped and the guy who made them no longer makes them.

glad you wer on again glk832 you have helped me out so much XD

ya I saw them this morning I have one on my wishlist now XD

Thats what the forum is for.. Man TXrepgirl help me so much when I got my first tegu. Not going to lie I was a little scared of it LOL.. but she and a few others helped me through it.. Yeah Im on the wait list too.. cant wait until they are ready Im getting his small enclosures ready now and looking to have a custom adult one built.. dont have the tools to diys this time.
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

chaos-carl. I posted some information on your other Thread about what you can use for a paint/sealant.

glk832. Aww, you are so sweet. I'm glad I could help. It is great to see you back .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl