Thread: Juvenile argentine aggression?

Question Juvenile argentine aggression?

So, I recently purchased 3 argentine black and white tegus, all hatchlings. 2 of them are very sweet, one of them is not AT ALL. I noticed that the 2 docile tegus (Apollo and nico) have almost identical patterns, but the aggressive one (Osiris, what a pun) has sort of a broken pattern. All three of them have the vertical lines, so I know they are argentine. Besides I have a columbian gold tegu as well, (nova) and they look nothing alike. But even my 1 year old columbian is more well behaved than Osiris! Does the pattern have any significance? If not, what can I do to tame Osiris down? I try to spend time with him but he always wags his tail and tries to elude me. Please help!

I don't have a tegu yet but like with most reptiles you need to take it slow. vary slow somethings. when did you get them? are all 3 of them in the same enclosure? how much have you worked with him over the others? do you handle him last?

things like this when having more then one reptile can make it hard to tame down I don't know if its the same for tegus but it was for my green iguana and my snakes. I had my snakes 1st before I got my iguana 3 years latter he could smell the snakes on me and wouldn't fall for the balled fist what so ever so I had to wash my hands and move him in my room and move my snakes to a new room for a mouth or so and with him living in my room getting handle 1st by my every day he tamed but it takes time.

I have had them now for about a month. Yes, they are all three in the same enclosure but I am about to separate Osiris from the other two. Typically I do handle him last. But I also have 2 iguanas, a crested gecko, a dumerils monitor and a western fence lizard in the same room. Not to mention the columbian gold tegu, 13 tarantulas, a frog and a crab, all in the same room. I try to work with him but he is pretty good about getting loose and I know it must stress him out while I frantically try to capture him, when I do I return him to the terrarium to prevent further stress.

tho they are all hatchlings I would keep them in there own tanks/enclosures. and I might say"DDDDAAAAMMMM that's a lot of pets" not hateing but that's a lot I see why he might not be tameing down for you all the smells he is not used to yet.

are all the tanks/enclosures for your pets in your room? or though out the hole house?

the thing I would do is handle him 1st feed him 1st don't go right to grabing him go slow let him get used to your hand 1st then try picking him up or letting him walk on you. one thing that worked well with my iguana was takeing a shirt I was wereing for like a 2-3 days and putting on his basking rock so he got use to my smell and I did the same when feeding him.

thos things worked for my iguana I don't know if they work for a tegu but you can give it a try and see how it works for you. there are other ways of doing it like the water bowl trick,

but the best thing I say you can do is give him some time he might just be looking at the fact you handle him last and hates that never know just keep trying and going slow with him.

best of luck I hope you find something that works for you and him XD

Default Re: Juvenile argentine aggression?

Quote Originally Posted by Eblickenstaff View Post
    I have had them now for about a month. Yes, they are all three in the same enclosure but I am about to separate Osiris from the other two. Typically I do handle him last. But I also have 2 iguanas, a crested gecko, a dumerils monitor and a western fence lizard in the same room. Not to mention the columbian gold tegu, 13 tarantulas, a frog and a crab, all in the same room. I try to work with him but he is pretty good about getting loose and I know it must stress him out while I frantically try to capture him, when I do I return him to the terrarium to prevent further stress.
    Try water taming. Type in water taming tegu in YouTube.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
    Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

That's a great idea, thank you for the tip! Yes, all my critters are in one room, my bedroom. Also, I have an iguana that is a little feisty, I am going to try that t shirt trick. Very helpful response, thank you. I never thought all of them in one room would be a problem?

sometimes it can be and sometimes it wont be its all based on your pets state of mind really

Hi Eblickenstaff. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegus ( well kind of new ). No, the pattern has nothing to do with it. If you want to you can try my shirt trick ( video below ). It works best when the Tegu first wakes up and is still cold. He will like the warmth of your body. Or after he ate. He will less likely to bite you when he is full. I also recommend giving him a bath after he ate. He will less likely poop on you . If he likes to free roam around you can sit in the bath tub and just let him crawl all over you. Please make sure that there are no holes any where in your bathroom like behind the cabinets. Or you will have a very hard time getting him out of there.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl