Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just saying hi!

Default Just saying hi!

Name is Wolfy/Rebecca Stout and I bought my first tegu a month ago. She is still nameless because I'm so terrible about choosing them.

She seems to be a yearling and I got her from Bay Area Reptiles in fl (anyone know anything at all about that guy?). We found her at the Atlanta Repticon. This breeder had more than a dozen yearlings out on display. They were mostly hight whites. His high whites were stunning. I went to choose one when hubby and son chose the one we have :sigh: because they thought she was unusual. She has a fiery orange belly and she is black and peachy orange! Its not very striking but it is very different. I'm so worried she'll loose all of these baby colors and then I'll be left with dully marked black and white. can that happen? She caused quite the stir there at the show. I was actually in line to buy her and the other people graciously stepped aside for my family. I figure surely there must be something good or unusual about her for that to happen especially when next to such stupendous specimens.

I am a writer for I-5 Publications (most of my work is on the SmallAnimalChannel.com site (But I am also in printed mags for birds and small mammals). That said .... know that this is my "playground" so you won't see good writing from me. When I'm not "working"? I"m just a Jersey girl (who now lives in tn) that loves to sling the slang and lives in typo hell on the internet. Lol.

This is going to be an amazing journey...

Hi Wolfy/Rebecca. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. They are amazing lizards. I'm sorry to say this but yes, she could loose those beautiful colors. But she may not. Time will tell. Just if you have the time would you mind posting some photos of her. Thank you. Please feel free to ask us as many questions as you like.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

2014-04-12_16.25.53.jpg

This picture above shows how orange/peach she is.

Bringing her home

Last edited by Wolfysluv; 05-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks for the info about her color. If she looses it, I just hope it goes to a striking white rather than a blah color ya know?

I'll be asking questions, you betcha. Been waiting for this for a year, and I've been reading this and another forum before joining as well as researching. But things come up. Like the thermal burn she came with. Her hyperness that doesnt seem to be depicted in any youtube videos. Enclosure building planning. And more.

Okay, so here was the big surprise for me. The activity. The trouble making. Its cooooooooooooooonstant. She's not all the way tame, but very very sweet and gentle. One thing I also wasn't prepared for because of her age. Geez, is it common for them to be spooked so easily? I'm talking if a pin drops she takes off. If something strange appears ... she shreds us when dashing away.

Lmao. Looks like the gate doesn't help much lol. This is to funny. You are in for something . Since she is a extreme giant she will have more of a light color than a dark one like the regular b/w do. I don't want to tell you what to do but I recommend using some clips to put on the screen top of her enclosure. She will get out and it will be hard to find her. Tegus are like little kids. They always get into something. I'm surprised that yours is a bit dark for a extreme giant.

This is our Leonidas when he was younger.

This is how a extreme giant looks like.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

That last baby, the creamy one ... really has the tell tail croc face for a chocoan does it not? Wow. And yeah, that second video is classic for an extreme from what I know. I have had this gut feeling that this breeder is wrong about mine being a chocoan. I'm so confused. He does breed on his premises. Yet when I asked about her being chocoan later (again), he didn't tell me he had any he was breeding. But that she "had all the markers of one". As if he wasn't sure ... how can he not be sure? Soooooo, does he not just breed but also get them in from another breeder to sell? I can hardly find a thing about this guy (which isn't all bad, if he was really bad there would be things about him on the net). He frequents Repticon. They are called Bay Area Reptiles in FL. I was waiting all this time to buy from Tegu Terra or Ty Parks. But I also wanted to pick my own in person. I thought I decided on Tegu Terra. Then at Repticon this breeder had a slew of these guys ... all nearly a yearling age. Nice dispositions. Gorgeous high whites. A few normals. And then mine. He did have one adult, an almost adult that he sold. It was a kitten. The new owner walked around with him the rest of the day.

Oh and you can't see them? But there are three clips on that cage. I'm just hoping she doesnt decide to dig at the screen since its a shorter enclosure. I have more than half the supplies to build now. the biggest issue has been figuring out how to shift all my animals room to room along with my sons.

2014-05-09_15.41.48.jpg

Finally after a few weeks of owning her, I got not only a decent picture, but the best one of her colors possible.

Ugh. Is there no way to make the photos bigger?

Theres her colors! And I so hope you are right that if they change they go to typical chocoan colors. That would be fine with me