Thread: Need your help!

Default Need your help!

Hi there, I'm new here so let me start off and say I love this site! You are all so nice and helpful.

I recently acquired a black and white Argentine tegu and he's settling in very well. On the 5th day my husband finished building his final enclosure, which is a wooden 8'x2'x2'. In order to move the tegu to its new home, we had to pick him up. He thrashed and tried biting throughout the entire ordeal. I understand it's best to wait a week before handling but my question is if a tegu can tame out if he's simply constantly around the same two people (cleaning and maintenance of cage without touching him) without any handling?

We ask this because he was so scared and we felt so bad!

is it a baby? or yearling?
    if its a baby. is the 8'x2'x'2 his 2nd or 1st enclosure? if its the 1st one you put him in make sure you put a wall in the middle of the enclosure to make it a 4'x2'x2'. yes he will need the space later as he grows but if he is just a baby he will use the bigger space to run and hide. but if its a yearling he will be happy in the enclosure.

and for the thrashing and biteing. I don't know if you have a baby or older tegu. but for tameing any reptile even a tegu it will take some time with any of my reptiles I have had over the years I started slow put my hand in the cage making and balled fist putting closer and closer day by day. but as you do this he will start to puff up and maybe tail wipe and hiss. 70% of the time its just for show and wait for him to come down before you move your hand and in time he will know your hand/smell and trust you

hope this helps XD

Hi tegumommy. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. I would like to know also if it's a baby or a older Tegu. Don't let him see that you are scared of him when he tail whips you or hisses at you. If you do you show him that he is the winner ( letting him scare you ) and he will keep doing it. I handled all of our Tegus from day one. This is what you can try to do ( in the video below ) for him to get used to you and you don't have to worry about getting bit. The best time to try to handle him is when he first wakes up and he is cold. They are a bit slower when they are cold and more calm most of the time. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you love our forum. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl