Thread: Weight of enclosure on a second floor?

Default Weight of enclosure on a second floor?

I'm just a little concerned about something. I want to keep my tegu up here (bi level house) with us. Not downstairs. And in fact, its currently not possible to put her downstairs the best I can figure. But in any case... should I be worried about the weight of an enclosure on a second story home? I was figuring a couch with three grown men on it weights a bunch. And thats okay. but I don't know how much a cage weighs. Itd be a simple one. Framed 8x4x3 box with 2x4s and 1/2 inch hardwood (birch) plywood. 8 inches of cypress. It would be against a wall end to end in the room. I've noticed our floors lean etc. Its older. I bought the 2x4's and let out a holy you know what when I realized that was heavy alone. I wanted to go with 2x2's .... but they are too bendy for something that big I think.

I live in a two story home as well it was something I had to look in to. if you have floor plans of both floors and you know where you are putting the cage find the place/side of a room that has a load bearing wall

I don't know what the inside of your home looks like so that's the best I can do.

but my big enclosure is somewhat the same as yours it comes in at about 450 atm and maybe adding 140 with the cypress when its in there. like yours its to one end of the room.

You have no idea how much you just helped, just by sharing the weight of your cage. Thank you so much. Its a great start. I'll go downstairs, look to see which walls are partitions, which are weight bearing walls, etc. unfortunately I dont have the plans to the house. I have a feeling the only weight bearing walls we have are the outside walls. I see metal supports in the garage (under the support beam) ... but I don't know if there are any more of them that are within the rest of the wall and run down the rest of the length of the house. I live in TN .. .where most people believe that frame/partition walls "are" the support (rolling my eyes). I so can't afford the additional cost of a dang engineer or building inspector to come out for an opinion.

i don't know much myself but its what I did for all my enclosures's glad I could help you have fun carrying it up the stairs XD