Thread: New Enclosure Humidity Control

Default New Enclosure Humidity Control

I am building my tegu a new enclosure. This one will be her full size enclosure and will measure 6' by 3'. It will also serve as a coffeetable in my living room. It will be a melamine enclosure but I will add plexiglass on the top (because it will be a coffee table) and it will have plexiglass doors in the front. My question is how should I control the humidity in this big enclosure? The one I have her in now is 3' by 1.5' and I just spray down the cypress mulch once in a while. I have also added eco earth to the mulch. Her shedding is fair, but I feel it could be better. I am not always able to spray down her tank and I don't wish to invest in some 120 dollar misting system. I could build one myself, but is it worth it? Or is there a simpler way to control the humidity levels? I also want to hear ideas on the water dish (should be big enough for them to lay inside). THe problem is she always fills up her water dish with mulch! She is always digging and throwing all her mulch in the dish.

P1020859.jpgP1020860.jpgP1020861.jpg

These pictures are of her current enclosure, which has sliding plexiglass. My new one will be doors on hinges that fold down and will serve as a small ramp for her to go in and out of her enclosure. If anyone has tips on the lighting please let me know. Currently I just have one 12'' uvb bulb approximately 18'' off the floor of the tank and it is hidden by the front framework. The heat bulb is a 75 watt regular zoo med bulb. Her new enclosure will be a bit taller (how big would you guys suggest?) so I am unsure of how I will set up the bulbs. Hope to hear your replies soon!

oreo 002.jpg20130722_125920[1].jpg

Also, she is bigger than what is seen in the pics. Actually quite small in the first picture. She is exactly 2 feet long right now so that hideaway dome is gone because it is too small for her now. I have two of those granite slabs as shown in the first picture. both are 1 foot square and a little over an inch thick. Quite heavy and they absorb heat well. I plan on putting both slabs in the new enclosure and having two basking bulbs heating them.

I have an enclosure 8'x4'x4'. I had a problem for humidity as well, what I did was I got a humidifier and set that on a timer. I was able to keep humidity around 70%. This link is pretty much what I did but I used pvc pipe and have it running throughout the whole enclosure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dH6z3-23FE
    I also have a big tub of water under neath my heat lamps.

I think ill use the same concept to change a humidifier into a reptifogger but definitely not the way shown in the video haha. Cant blame the kid though. It still worked. Pvc does wonders. I think what I qill do is I will also have the water dish at the opposite end of the tank away from the basking area b7t I will keep a ceramic heat emitter pointed at it. That way ill hit two birds with one stone. Keep the heat up at thw other end of thw tank as well as raise the humidity levels

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's pretty much what I did and it works great. Good luck.

VERY helpful thread

Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk