Thread: Two tegus?

Default Two tegus?

The tegu I currently have is exactly two feet long. I would love to have two tegus, so I have been lookibg around and I found on for sale that is also exactly 2 feet long. Mine is a female and I am currently trying to work with the seller to find out the gender of the one he has. I am also in the proccess of building a new full size enclosure for my tegu and if I do end up getting another, I will build it larger. I live in an apartment so no I can't build an enclosure the size of a bedroom (like some people say it needs to be). Ridiculous. But how big should I build the enclosure to house two female argentine black and white tegus? It will be a new enclosure to the both of them so hopefully that eliminates territorial issues. Can anyone shed light on their opinion about this? Whats the likelihood of them not getting along if I work with them seperated at first (on the floor supervised like the professionals say to do)? I don't like having a burden on my shoulders all the time worrying about one injuring the other, but at the same time having two tegus is something I would enjoy. Thats if they actually get along. The tegu I am considering buying seems pretty tame and eats well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I would be interested in hearing about this as well.

It needs to be big, they need their room, if a single tegu can use up to 8x4x4, for two I wouldn't go smaller than 8x6x4. and even then someone may chime in saying thats too small.
    Blue tegu expected soon!

I would like to hear from someone who houses tegus together or at least has two tegus to see how they are set up and if it works well for them

We have five Tegus and they all have their own enclosures. If you want to be on the safe side you can build a stackable enclosure.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I just spoke with rick a few days ago and he said hes never had an issue with housing his together. But there will be a risk depending on how well they are introduced or monitored.

Even kept males together with no issues. I guess its just how the tegus are raised. What they eat, how they eat, how theyre handled, introduced, how they deal with other animals in general, etc. In my opinion any tegu should be raised to tolerate other animals in general anyway. But it takes time and work to do that. Time that not everyone has. But thanks for the info txrepgirl I appreciate it and I hope you stay on the forums you do a good job!

Your welcome. Thank you for the kind words. Don't worry, I'll be on the forum for a long time. I own this forum. I'm going to try to be on here more often but sometimes it's hard with having two jobs.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

In a perfect world we can all spend our days and nights with our tegus. Too bad it isnt. Maybe one day :P

You are so right about this. Sorry for the late reply.

Our videos :