Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Tegus inbreeding

Okay so, I have never heard of Salvator merianae. What is the difference between salvator merianae and tupinambis merianae? Just out of curiousity, Are black and white tegus classified under tupinambis merianae?
    Also, no I do not want a Tegu because they are beautiful, They are fascinating animals. The only guy I found who breeds tegus in my area happens to breed blues. I first saw a tegu when I was about seven, it's been my dream ever since.
    This was very helpful by the way, thank you for this answer.
    Last edited by TheOddOne; 07-29-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Last year (I think it was) some researchers re-classified the whole Teiidae family (Tegus, Ameivas, all of them), and for the tegus they decided there was enough difference to split the genus into 2 based along what (if you've seen any of my previous posts) I called the Southern clade (what most erroneously refer to as the Argentines) and the Northern clade (personally, I thought their approach to the tegus was shallow, but I very much support the division nonetheless). So now the Red, Black&White, and Yellow tegus are in genus Salvator (S.rufescens, S.merianae, S.duseni, respectively), while the Colombian, Swamp, 4-lined and Rondonia tegus retain the original Tupinambis genus epithet (T.teguixin, T.palustris, T.quadrilineatus, T.longilineus ,respectively). So the "Argentine" black & white was formally known as Tupinambis merianae, it is now recognized as Salvator merianae ​- basically just a simple name change.

Now, if you really want to see what I mean about dividing a species into several, keep your eyes peeled in the next couple of years, I have inside information that the one species is close to be divided into quite a few "new" ones, and I'm not talking Salvator merianae.......

Oh okay! That's very interesting! Sorry if you already answered this question in a previous post, but are "blues" apart of Salvator merianae?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOddOne View Post
    Oh okay! That's very interesting! Sorry if you already answered this question in a previous post, but are "blues" apart of Salvator merianae?
    Oh sorry you already answered this. But thank you so much for all these detailed answers.