Thread: Blue Tegus inbreeding

Hybrid View

Default Blue Tegus inbreeding

Hello all, so I recently read a thread called "Blue Tegu Research", this post was from 2011 (or 2007 can't remember).
    I am making this post to know if anyone has any up to date information. It talked about health problems concerning blue Tegus and how they are albino. Is this true that blue Tegus are albino? Many people also were talking about how they are severely inbred due to the small number first imported to America, and how they will not be breeding them.
    This is dissapointing as I was looking for a blue Tegu as a first time owner.

Does anyone have any information concerning blue Tegu being albino and having health issues due to inbreeding?

Thanks

I'm sorry that I can't help you when it comes to the albino part. No, blue Tegus are not albinos. I have seen a albino red Tegu before. So far I haven't seen any breeders that I know who breed blue Tegus have any problems with their clutches. They also made sure that they get their males and females from different stocks so the inbreeding doesn't happen ( or at least not as much ). I hope our member tupinambis will post a reply on here. He knows a lot about this stuff. Please let me know if you need any info on some blue Tegu breeders.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    I'm sorry that I can't help you when it comes to the albino part. No, blue Tegus are not albinos. I have seen a albino red Tegu before. So far I haven't seen any breeders that I know who breed blue Tegus have any problems with their clutches. They also made sure that they get their males and females from different stocks so the inbreeding doesn't happen ( or at least not as much ). I hope our member tupinambis will post a reply on here. He knows a lot about this stuff. Please let me know if you need any info on some blue Tegu breeders.
    I hope he replies too! Replies on this websites have been pretty slow, but nevertheless, I got one reply!

I'm sorry it's been so slow on our forum. I'm going to pm him with this link and hope he will reply then. Thank you for your patience.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have read the post you are speaking of and it is for the most part not correct. The negative affects of inbreeding are exaggerated unless your animals have genetic health problems. There are albino blue tegus that can have vision problems but all my research showed that it is most likely due to bright cage lights as ones kept outdoors may still have some vision problems but not as bad as ones with over bright cage lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Zukowski View Post
    I have read the post you are speaking of and it is for the most part not correct. The negative affects of inbreeding are exaggerated unless your animals have genetic health problems. There are albino blue tegus that can have vision problems but all my research showed that it is most likely due to bright cage lights as ones kept outdoors may still have some vision problems but not as bad as ones with over bright cage lights.
    Yes, I felt the same way of it being exaggerated. The whole thread turned into a flame war! The person who made the post pretty much didn't even get any correct information.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    I'm sorry it's been so slow on our forum. I'm going to pm him with this link and hope he will reply then. Thank you for your patience.
    Patience is an important thing, I am willing to wait and be given proper information than take advice from someone inexperienced.