Thread: Happy New Tegu Owner

Default Happy New Tegu Owner

Hello everyone,

I am from Canada and for years I have been hearing my boyfriend talk about how wonderful Tegus are. I liked the way they looked, but I really loved our Bearded Dragon. He would show me videos, but I was all about our Maddy for me. I kept thinking we didn't have the room for another large caged creature in a 2 bedroom apartment.

Unfortunately, our Beardie, Maddy passed away at the age of 9 years old and our daughter would cry in front of the empty tank. And our cat Giz, who used to hunt crickets with Maddy and sleep in the tank at night with her, would howl at night. He started acting out, it was awful. After a few weeks of this I asked for the large tank to be removed from the home. So we were discussing were to put it, or who to sell it too. Still couldn't figure out what to do, so I cleaned it up, took out all of her things. Thinking that would help.

Well, my boyfriend and our daughter went to the local reptile shop to pick up feeders for his snakes and seen two Tegus. One, of course, he falls in love with. He comes to my place and tells me how he's been wanting one for over 3 years, and how this little guy is so tame and just a bunch of awesome. I was not going along with this idea, to me Maddy wasn't even fully gone and it was mean and getting another animal right now was replacing her. My daughter said she liked the idea, and my boyfriend reminded me how hard they are to get here. So I agreed to go to the shop to see this wonderful creature. I was in no way thinking anything but to be able to actually see and hold the famous Tegu.

Well there was still two Cuties, usually I have a thing for the smallest, which I know is not recommended. All of my pets have always been the smallest and had the hardest life. Even our Beardie was the smallest 'runt' and had the tip of her tail kinked from a bite. I just have a thing for the smallest, but I seen the one my boyfriend wanted, and I seen the patterns and it's temperament and I was sold. I was actually shocked on how attached I got with the "Shim", which is what my friend and I call something we don't know the gender of LOL.

So we brought 'shim' to my place, named the 'shim' Kodiac, Kodie for short. Kodie and I have this thing about the tank though. 'Shim' likes it messy, as I have read they seem to prefer, and I like to turn the husks around to not allow mold to form and level it out on a daily basis. We had the tank originally in the kitchen because Maddy liked to have her privacy. So every time I'd go in there, I would pet Kodie on the head, which in return would huff at me, I giggle and do my thing. Kodie seemed to enjoy watching me cook, but I found he would not stay out and about very long. So now I have Kodie in the living room, were he enjoys glass dancing and trying to climb up my cat's tail to get out (My cat sits on top of the glass lids, but it has enough space for the cat's tail can get through).

In all, I was the one person that was not so sure of having a Tegu, and I am the first person Kodie 'trusted'. He bit my boyfriend, which sorta makes me like Kodie a bit more. And he sort of bucks my daughter's fingers off his back when she goes to genitally touch his back. Now I can put my hand in the tank and Kodie will walk up and I will bring my arm up like an elevator to get 'shim' out. He likes to be held for a few seconds. Kodie is still very curious when he roams around the living room and us shadowing over him, but I hope I can achieve some snuggle time in the future. I really, really do like him. I wish my boyfriend would rather breed these guys and have me hand train them rather than the balls pythons.

I am really enjoying your forum as it's helping me piece together things you can't get prior answers for online. It seems to me the internet doesn't fully know what these beings need. At least here I get the impression there are great lovers of the species. It took a few days to get excepted here, and I have a few questions, but thought I would say hello, share the story of how we got our Tegu. These little guys are pretty cool, they are up there with Beardies, that is for sure. Here is Kodie laying briefly on my belly under the fuzzy blanket.

Kodie.jpg

So thanks for allowing me to join and for sharing all the information with me/us.

T.

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your new Tegu!
    Do you know what type of tegu you have?

Thank you, I can't believe I forgot to mention what species Kodie is. Kodie is an Argentine B&W.

You are welcome. He is beautiful! You will do a great job with him.

I hope so, Kodie is already a big hit here.