Thread: A better form of Drylock for enclosures

Default A better form of Drylock for enclosures

Hey guys, I used Drylock Extreme for my enclosure rather than the cementy-like plain Drylock everyone uses. My son and I both are screaming praises of this stuff. It goes on quick and easy like flat paint (its not rough, let alone cement like). My son is kicking himself for not knowing about this stuff before he used plain Drylock on his enclosure. This will be safer for nose rubbing, and will make a world of difference with cleaning. Honestly, I hope you guys recommend this and not the plain Drylock anymore.

For me, personally, I am also going to apply 1-2 coats of a zero/low voc kitchen and bathroom paint. It'l semi gloss which will make clean up much easier. It has a mildew resistant material in it which is nice. I'll find out soon enough if that is a good decision.

Thanks! I am trying to make lists of what to get, so I will add that to the list of things to look at. My boyfriend and I are going this weekend to see what wood and supplies they have here. I am still awaiting a reply to see if we end up having to get pine if the sealants are enough to create a barrier.

Question for you though, I am new with this enclosure making. You will be putting the paint over top of the Drylock Extreme or is the Drylock clear? I know this is a completely stupid question for some, I never even heard of this stuff before. I really like the idea of being able to plaint the inside any colour I would like.

I read to be careful with adding pigment ... that is adds to teh voc levels. So in other words if you get a low or zero voc paint ...whatever number is on there might be raised with added pigment. But I dont know if thats minuscule or not.

thank you for your answer.

where did you get this drylock at i would love to know.
    the last paint i used for my little enclosure rotted in two mouths flat and ive been looking for something that can holed well

and what did you use at the buttom of the cage for the bedding?
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.

This stuff was orignally made for the bottoms of pools! This forum taught me to use it. Seals and preserves wood forever. Its at home depot and i think lowes. There are 2 kinds. The Extreme is a little more expensive but its smooth and it goes on like regular paint. The normal on is rough.. a little harder to paint on. If you dont like the feeling of "flat" or rough paint, then buy a bathroom/kitchen paint to go over it. Its glossy. However people havent tried that bath paint for years to see how it wears.

ty sir this really helps me out ill take a look at it when i get the time

the last cage i made was my small one and i used lumber seal on it and it didnt seal a thing it went bad fast
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfysluv View Post
    This stuff was orignally made for the bottoms of pools! This forum taught me to use it. Seals and preserves wood forever. Its at home depot and i think lowes. There are 2 kinds. The Extreme is a little more expensive but its smooth and it goes on like regular paint. The normal on is rough.. a little harder to paint on. If you dont like the feeling of "flat" or rough paint, then buy a bathroom/kitchen paint to go over it. Its glossy. However people havent tried that bath paint for years to see how it wears.
    Be careful with glossy paint. You dont want the lights reflecting off it and hurting their eyes. I got worried when I had Yoshi in his first cage when he was a baby because the inside was glossy and reflective and he kept closing his eyes.