Thread: Not Shedding before Hibernation

Default Not Shedding before Hibernation

Okay so this happened last year before Yoshi went down for brumation/hibernation and it worries me everytime. He has not shed now for probably a little over a month. And if this is like last year he will not shed until he wakes up from hibernation in late march! Does anyone else have a tegu that stops shedding long before hibernation and does anyone have a tegu that sleeps from late September until late March? Two years in a row now he has hibernated for 6-7 months straight without ever coming up. I'll update this post with my enclosure information and how I care for him later because I'm about to run to work now.

He is in a 7x3x3 cage, humidifier is set to turn off at 75% humidity but I usually only run it when he is out and about above the surface of the ground. The hot side gets to be about 95 F and when it gets that hot it turns off the second light which is in the middle. He likes both sides and I see him on both about the same amount. I feed him ground up meat and whole prey from hare today as well as any veggies or fruit I have around the house.

I;m going to assume that his hibernation cycle is normal, it just sucks that he is asleep 7 months out of the year.

We have 5 Tegus. 4 of them do the same thing. They go into hibernation in early September and don't come out until late March early April. When they come out and basked for a while and start eating like a pig again they shed like crazy. But not when they about to go into hibernation. Because when they go into hibernation their metabolism slows down. When this happens they stop growing.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Okay awesome I just wanted to be sure this was all normal behavior. Very glad to hear others do the same thing.

Mine didn't shed this past winter either, He shed a couple weeks after he got up just fine.