Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into the Tegu Feeding world

Question Getting into the Tegu Feeding world

I have quite a few reptiles, now... 2 veiled chameleons, a bearded dragon and geckos of all sorts...

I've never had a reptile that will eat quite as much as a tegu. I'm curious to know how much most people spend on feeding their tegu monthly and what you feed it that adds up to that??

I'll be getting an Argentine black and white pretty soon--once I figure out all of my questions on it

Thanks,
    Dillon

Anyone? Help is needed :O

well i only have one tegu it about maybe 20$ a mouth for me atm.

plz know this most people buy in bulk for there tegu. i do as well ill buy food that lasts for me atm for about 4-5 mouths and ill spent about 150$

my tegu is only 2 feet long and 3 mouths old atm so i know ill buy more later

i hope this helps
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.

Yes, that helps! Thanks.

What do you feed?

graund up turkey and cut fish like cud/yellow tail/others/ mice like pinkys at the start and fuzzys latter. or you can buy adult rats and grind them up and feed that to them" the owner of the forums gave me that idea"

but change up what you feed your tegu every day something new like adding two of one thing and three of one thing
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.

Hi Dillon. Sorry for the late reply. It's hard to say how much we are spending each month. We have 5 Tegus and we buy in bulk. I know it cost more in the beginning because you would have to buy more and pay for shipping. But it's cheaper in the ling run. The frozen feeders are cheaper and you don't have to drive to the pet store so often to get them from there. We give them some fresh or steamed veggies that we eat and some fruits. But it's good to have some stage one or two fruit/veggie baby food on hand in case you don't have anything fresh or frozen ( that you can thaw out ) ones at home. You can mix up the veggies or fruits with the ground turkey. This way your Tegu can't pick out the fruits or veggies that he doesn't like . The reason why I recommend to buy a bit larger frozen ( then thaw them out ) feeders and then grind them up is because their bones are more developed. That means the calcium in those bones are better then from the young feeders.

Besides the frozen/thawed feeder like chicks, quail, rats we feed lean ground chicken/turkey/beef, chicken/turkey breast, lean pork, chicken/beef liver, hearts, gizzards.

Fish: cod, tuna, salmon, tilapia, catfish, seafood medley, large sardines, smelts. We get those at the super market. I do not recommend feeding life fish from the pet store ( they could be sick ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Awesome!! I could figure out the math most likely. I'm just gonna get one female to start. Females eat less than males, right?

Thanks for the info on what you use to feed. I heard to stay away from avocado but pretty much every other regular veggie is okay?

Your welcome. If you don't mind me asking. Why stay away from avocados ? It's OK to give it to the Tegu every now and then. It has good fats in it just like fish. I wouldn't give to much of the spinach. It's been so long ago that I don't remember why. Hope tupinambis or laurarfl will comment on this. With bananas it should be just a treat. They are high in potassium. Oops. I forgot to mention. Good luck with the female eating less than a male lol. Our females ate more than some of our males lots of times .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm not sure. I actually posted it on the chameleon forums, in the "other reptiles" section and I think someone mentioned it there. Or maybe it was in a YouTube video... can't remember why they said.

Lol well I guess I'll have to be careful on that xD

Avocados have been reported to be toxic to many animals, reptiles included. The source of the toxicity seems to be persin, a compound found mostly in the leaves and in the pit. The meat of the fruit may be ok, but most keepers (myself included) take precautionary measures and avoid it entirely just to avoid any potential problems. There is no reason why it needs to be included in the diet so why chance it.