Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Tegu enema

Interesting, I wonder then if uvb exposure could be a treatment for hypocalcemia rather than making it worse?

dpjm - where did you hear that? UVB IS typically a prescribed treatment for hypocalcemia in reptiles.

papabeans - the problem that I seem to most often encounter is most hobbyists don't seem to want to understand what is actually taking place, they want a simple caresheet 2 second answer, and hence why they often run into problems. Most people seem to think in linear manners about things with their pets, typically the "if a little is good, a lot must be awesome" type thing, and fail to realize that in biology, most things are actually more along a parabolic curve - a little isn't good enough, and lots is bad, good is somewhere in between. Unfortunately, with UVB, we aren't fully sure what levels would be best, but what we do know is for artificial lighting to come close to what is experienced in natural sunlight, you would have to use a LOT of bulbs. Look around the posts, most people have one or two bulbs, and think that's sufficient.

Oops, haha. Yes of course UVB is a typical treatment for hypocalcemia, I couldn't think of a better one.

I actually meant to type hypercalcemia. From what you were saying regarding UVB as a regulating influence on previtamin D3 levels, do you think it would be beneficial to provide UVB to an animal showing symptoms of hypercalcemia probably through overdosing on dietary D3, or would it be better to provide none until the symptoms subsist?

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    Look around the posts, most people have one or two bulbs, and think that's sufficient.
    Really? I understand the need for moderation because its the same as humans. Too much water will kill you, as will not enough water. So is one 4' 10.0 Repti glo uvb bulb enough for my tegu in a 7x3x3 cage? I have the bulb around 1' away from the ground and he is always around it or near it in some way.

I'd love to get him outside and in the grass and enjoying the sun but he resists any type of leash with 100% of all his effort. The closest I've come at all is inside a big enough dog kennel that he cannot escape.