Thread: tegu doesn't want to be in enclosure

Default tegu doesn't want to be in enclosure

Weird question. So, a while back I lost my snake, and as a result my tegu was not allowed to roam around like usual until I found her. In that time, to give him exercise, I let him burrow in blankets on my bed. Now, well...

Before he never liked staying on my bed unless he was sleeping. Now I can't get him off it! He straight up refuses to sleep in his tank unless he's exhausted and has no other choice. Otherwise, he's burrowing in clothes/blankets on my bed or sleeping on or next to me. My humidity is up, his substrate is several inches of cypress/peat moss/EE, and I have variable heat that I've experimented with seeing if he just wasn't comfortable with the temperature. It's all up to standard, but every time I put him in the enclosure he throws a fit, then when I let him out, which I usually would when he wanted exercise, he climbs right up onto my bed and falls asleep. What gives?

Is this a sign that there's something wrong with my enclosure, or is he just being a brat? He's been sleeping with me for several days now.

There he is, all asleep on my knee. Right now he's wedged under my thigh. I certainly appreciate the attention, but I want to make sure that he isn't just craving a better environment. Are tegus really capable of just wanting to be around their caretaker?

Lol. I know how you feel. Yes, he is being a spoiled brat . My boyfriend and I went through the same thing. It took a very long time to get our Leonidas out of the habit of sleeping with us. I don't want to tell you what to do. But I recommend having a soft water proof mattress cover/protector on your bed. Just in case he has to poop or pee. It's a lot easier to clean the sheets and the mattress protector than the mattress. I'm glad we had on on there.

I'm sorry for coughing in this video. I was a bit sick that day.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

That is the cutest thing I've seen all day.... I will definitely take your advice about the mattress cover! I want him to be more free range and not confined to a tank all the time so I guess it would be best to take precautions against him sleeping on the bed.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the compliment. How is he doing ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I definitely need to get that mattress cover since I accidentally didn't let him squirm away while we were napping and he peed on the bed haha. He's doing good, about to shed so his appetite is not as vivacious as usual, so he wasted some food which got on my nerves but oh well, my fault for not portioning right, haha. I'm contacting a friend to start designs on his new enclosure this week.