Thread: Ant Poison

Default Ant Poison

So without my knowledge someone put an ant trap near Yoshi's cage, the kind that they eat and carry back to the colony and spread throughout to kill all the ants. Well there is a colony I think inside of Yoshi's cage that I have left alone because I felt they were not a threat to Yoshi herself and I did not want any kind of poison near or in the cage. Anyways I've removed the trap, but I am worried if this kind of poison will hurt Yoshi or not. She is sleeping and relatively close to the colony I think. I wasn't sure if she would have to eat the poison or just be around it for any kind of effects to happen. I'm really worried, I've been wanting to change the dirt mixture because it gets way to dry way too easily and its so hard to get it moist again without dumping a bucket of water in there (1 big bag of sphagnum peat moss and 1 small bag of organic topsoil is the mixture). So if I have to change the dirt I will as soon as I can, but I just wanna know how dangerous is this?

I think that type of poison needs to be ingested, so I wouldn't worry about fumes, etc. However, there is a risk of her(?) ingesting, depending on factors that only you can know (mostly regarding where and how she eats). If you think there is a possibility of ingestion then I would change the substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by dpjm View Post
    I think that type of poison needs to be ingested, so I wouldn't worry about fumes, etc. However, there is a risk of her(?) ingesting, depending on factors that only you can know (mostly regarding where and how she eats). If you think there is a possibility of ingestion then I would change the substrate.
    I don't think there would be since she is hibernating right now and I feed her outside of the cage usually. Unless there are ants running around under the dirt near her and shes eating them while shes buried? I've never heard of tegus eating ants underground lol, but I was mainly worried about fumes so that is good to hear. I was going to change the substrate anyways I was just going to do it asap if the fumes were a problem.

Thanks dpjm

I don't think she would eat ants even if she were active. I was more concerned about ants depositing poison into the substrate. I'd leave her alone and change the substrate when she gets up, like you said.