Thread: Food under ear scale?

Default Food under ear scale?

Hey guys,
    My tegu sometimes gets food inside his ear drum? Whenever he eats something like chicken livers that are juicy, sometimes the juice can be seen sloshing around inside his eardrum. Im not familiar with reptile anatomy so I am unsure if that is part of their sinus cavity or? Is this normal? Its only there after eating sometimes. He will sneeze and shoot food out of his nose while eating on occasion too. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by tyterh; 12-02-2014 at 09:12 PM.

I forgot to ask you in the email if he sticks his nose inside the food. Our Tegus stick their nose inside the ground meet and have some food stuck on them. But I don't see them sneeze. If no one else will reply to your question I would pm our member tupinambis. He knows a lot about Tegus. I hope he will see your post.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Just want to see how things are going with your Tegu. Is he still doing the same thing ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

The thing to keep in mind here is basic anatomy that all vertebrates share, and that is we have eustachian tubes connecting our oral passage to our middle ears (this is how we are able to equalize pressures). In some species the eutachian tubes can be quite pronounced, so it's easily possible for the phenomenon you're observing. That being said, I'd be a little concerned (not stressed out) because I'm not sure how the body would deal with foreign matter in the middle ear. Watch for other discolourations in the inner ear, and possibly also pronounced head tilting.

Hey, Its only happened a few times and the liquid disappears within a few hours. Im going off what tupinambis was thinking and its probably just the structure of Loki's eustachian tubes allowing liquids in more easily. He's happy as ever and showing no strange behaviors, just unsettling to me the first time I saw It