Thread: Jemma & Priscus

Default Jemma & Priscus

Hi All

I've a new Tegu (Priscus) and there is a little bit of a story behind things so I could do with some advice.

He's 23" long nose to tail and I am feeding him on salmon, mealworms, crickets, quail eggs (occasionally) fuzzies dusted with Nutrobal. I have tried fruit but he isnt interested.

He seems to be losing weight and will not stay in his viv - I dont think he likes the UVA/UVB fluorescent bulb in there - along with the 100w ceramic for heat and the basking spot. The viv is a 3x2 which gives him a fair amount of space. I am using coir bedding and misting every couple of days. I am not sure if the weight loss is to do with his moving around more.

All he wants to do is sit on the floor in front of the halogen incandescent heater - he scratches violently at the wall when he is in the viv, or rubs his face on the glass - I have had him about a month.

Im just worried about him since I am hearing horror stories left right and centre and none of the information I read seems to make sense or agree on anything...

It also doesnt help that I have problems with anxiety as it is (suspected adrenal fatigue as a result of severe stress) and it didnt help there is family stress involved and that the shop I bought him delivered him - basically put him in my hands and left - at which point I found he'd lost a part of one two and had dry shed - on top of a varanid care sheet which as far as I can tell isnt remotely appropriate.

If anyone has any suggestions... thanks in advance...
    Last edited by JemmaUK; 12-31-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: more information

Hi JemmaUK. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. What kind of Tegu do you have ? Is he a Argentine or a Columbian Tegu ? If he is a Argentine Tegu do you know if he was in hibernation and they woke him up to bring him to you ? What are the basking temps ? I recommend getting a bulb that is all in one (heat, UVA,UVB). There are different reasons why a Tegu wants to get out of the enclosure. Some of the reasons are he is hungry, he has to poop/pee and doesn't want to do it inside the enclosure or he wants to free roam around (not recommended when they are little). Hare far away is the UVA/UVB bulb ? If it's to high he doesn't get enough of it. Maybe you want to get him checked for parasites. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Well there's good news and bad news. I found out why priscus was going berserk in viv. Two pieces of wood. Took them out this morning and he's sat in the cold end on the top of temporary hide.. Completely different animal. Explains the weight loss because he's been burning up energy so I feel a lot better about that..
    The bad news is I woke up this morning at 3am in a cold sweat when I remembered those bits of wood had been in Dracos viv about a year ago and he died of something unexplained just before Xmas which I suspect might have been IBD - cleaned or removed everything and going to get new hides for both ends (short lengths of square section pipe). Yes, I know a stupid newbie mistake but my memory is like a sieve at the best of times and this is not the best of times.
    He's on newly made coir substrate but I don't know if the shop woke him up, it wouldn't surprise me given how he arrived. Is there any way to tell?
    The temps are 85 - 76 but I'm having trouble with the basking side of things - the room gets too hot (downstairs neighbor likes it broiling and the thermostat goes into pulse unless I leave windows open..
    A top tip for the extrication of small tegu from narrow unextractable places. Get heat mat and gently manoeuvre it under the animal. Wait a couple of hours and gently pull on cable of heat mat - mat should glide out from under 200kg immobile item of furniture with a happy warm tegu curled up snoozing on it.
    Sorry for the essay but there's a lot of info. Going out to get bits now..
    NB if you are finding you are sad and depressed in the afternoons and wake up sick or nauseous and spend the rest of the time exhausted - look into being tested for adrenal fatigue - it might be the reason behind it...

PS definitely an Argentine - two scales behind nostrils.

I don't know if it signifies regarding hibernation but he doesn't seem adverse to heat at all and he's eating normally. He usually manages a chunk of salmon one or two fuzzies and some breakdowns. He seems to have completely gone off crickets. He seems to be shedding every month or so - is that normal? Body length is 9" from nose to point between back of back legs. His tail does seem to be getting less firm tho which worries me.. The bulb is a 24" 10.0 and about 8 inches from his hot side and about same on cool side. Bask and heat combined are shielded 100w ceramic. I'm not sure I want to take him to local expert vet cos I'm not sure how expert he is..

I'm sorry for the very late reply. Is he eating more now ? How does his tail look like. Is he drinking enough water (he might be a bit dehydrated). Yes, it's normal for them to shed a lot when they are babies. It's also normal for the tail part to shed later than the upper body.

Here is some info on the shedding:

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html

Here is some info on lighting:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Researchmain.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl