Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd 3pm mega twitch.

Exclamation odd 3pm mega twitch.

I've noticed recently that priscus has a huge twitch just once at around 3pm every day like clockwork. It's easiest described as being like a big sneeze. It only ever happens once but it's a whole body thing. Afterwards for a couple of minutes he'll twitch his head to the side like he's sent something then nothing more until next day.
    He's on nutrobal and everything is dusted to lesser or greater extent, has a 10.0 tube in viv and a 10.0 coil where he likes to bask in front of halogen heater on floor. He hates the viv.. Has actually split the fibre board by leaning on and trying to push thru glass.
    He's walking fine - alligator stood up and pooping fine, solid but not hard and he isn't having tremors when he walks I'm just worried cos completely new to reptiles of this type.
    Are there any symptoms of too much Uv, also should he have more than two visible teeth? Sorry for all questions but this twitch worried me.

Hi JemmaUK. First I would like to say please don't ever be sorry for asking any questions. No matter how many. This is what we are here for. What you have described is not normal. Could you please by any chance make a video of it and post it on here ? I don't recommend using the tube UVA/UVB. Since Tegus bask for a lot it would be better to get a bulb that is all in one (heat, UVA/UVB). This way your Tegu will benefit the most out of getting enough UVA/UVB. If the tube is off to the side or to high up he will not get enough of it. What are the basking temps right underneath the basking bulb ? I also don't recommend using a coil bulb. I heard and read some bad things about them. You should be able to see all or at least most of his teeth. Is he tame ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

It's kind of a long story. The shop I got him from gave me a varanid care sheet and seemed totally inept. I thought I was getting a baby but he was already 6 in from nose to vent. He's not friendly at all, he won't come over to me, he doesn't bite or huff just flails like he's trying to remove landmines when I try to pick him up after about 30 seconds. I can try get a video but it's so fast.. Its exactly like what he does if I startle him by mistake so I wonder if he is hearing something he dislikes that I can't.
    He's about 28" now is it worth trying the shirt trick or is it just a quick way for him to try and disembowel me? Thinking back this twitch started when I added the uv bulb to where he basks by incandescent heater.
    I wanted a affectionate pet which is why I chose the tegu, but it seems I got one too old to be friendly or to bond with me, for far too much money. He'd already lost toe to and end of tail before I got him. I've done my best to help him with sheds but his tail doesn't want to play ball even when I soak him. Cleared his eye scales for him which seemed to cheer him up a bit.
    The problem with the all in one bulbs is so fast as I can tell they won't work on a pulse thermo, is that true? I'm not up to taking the whole viv apart again, although I wonder if moving the heater and using a single bulb for when he's out...
    The distance in viv is about 6in from where he sleeps or basks. The other one a little more. Plus the 400w incandescent he basks in front of which he seems to love.
    Re the teeth, I think he has more but there are two fangs visible in upper jaw, I know he's got teeth in both because he nipped me a couple of times and drew blood.
    I'm beginning to wonder if, if I can't tame him, I am going to be able to keep him because as he is there's no way I could inject him or anything like that because it's just me on my own..

Well I tried something yesterday. He was curled up with me from 10am to half 3 and no twitch. So it's either to do with heat, which is 105-111 or uv. Another question, he's growing fast so far as I can tell but should he be going into another shed before the last bits of the last shed have come off? Amazed that he was perfectly calm sleeping next to me while I watched TV. Has anyone tested standard incandescent bar elements for UV because I strongly suspect the incandescent standard bulbs actually have the same output or very similar to the expensive bulbs...
    I am learning something, he has his own mind, newbies will get on better with these animals if they accept that, while making sure that if he/she wants to hide somewhere that they have heat available..

Well, I managed to get a video of the head twitch but I can't upload it, apparently I'm not logged in then it locks up the site. I'm starting to get seriously worried. I'm doing all I can, and it seems to be affecting him more. Can you advise the basking light you use that will work both on a switch or on a dimming thermostat. I'm getting strong impression there is something wrong here but I don't know what. Everything's dusted and he gets UV nice and close. He only seems to do either thing when he's resting/basking but I've seen a strange front leg like trying to scratch himself but backwards. Really worried....

I might have found the reason. Phosphorous deficiency. Stuff I was using to dust food changed formulation minus Phosphorus. Checked labels carefully and new stuff = no phosphorus. Will change back immediately. If you notice a head twitch down to left or right or an unexplained startle reaction it may be lack of phosphorous.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Did you try to post the video again and see if the site still locks up ? Did you post the video on youtube and then try to post it on here ? This is what I do and it always works. Please let us know if it helped switching back to the other powder. I would upper the temps 115 to 120. Here is the bulb I have been using since 2007 (I get a new one once a year if they don't hibernate). http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...D=2&SearchID=1
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Here is some info you might like to read. Laura (who wrote this) is our Admin.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...-Tegu-Species/

Our videos :

I think the phosphorus had solved the problem, no head twitches today. I managed to feed some salmon earlier with the old dust on it.. He seems a little sleepy but otherwise OK. One thing is a really quiet click sometimes when he breathes. The biggest problem is he hates the viv, if like try to put him in he goes berserk. I'm confused with this animal, it doesn't help I'm not well myself. Tests for autism & AFS (Addison's Lite) soon.

Spoke too soon. Really worried. Going to have to watch him.

Can't post from YouTube. Will try put on laptop and do that way. Still doing it, head twitches more often, but singly each time. Eating OK, pooping between once a day and once every two. Vet looked him over said he was OK but didn't like video. Seems to happen when he wakes then stops. Have changed feeding plate, water to tap filtered (jug). I'm just terrified it's what Draco had, an ATB. I know the air is a little dry but I can't keep him in viv he attacks it. He's drinking fine and legs are plump and he seems to be OK shedding with a little soaking.. At my wits end here...
    I haven't changed his food it's what he's always had. Could it be because he's hiding alot - 8pm to 1pm following day it's uv related? Should I put him in viv with light on whether he wants or not.. I've read the stuff you mention.. But doesn't seem to help me, he's perfectly normal when he's moving about other than odd moonwalk with front paws like wiping his feet..
    Nothing that's mentioned seems to relate :-(