Thread: Basking platform material - any scientifically minded people here?

Hybrid View

Default Basking platform material - any scientifically minded people here?

I am going to make a new basking platform as for some reason the one I have now with ceramic tile doesn't "hold heat" well, and makes me need high wattage bulbs (3 bulbs in cluster) to get the surface temperature to 110. I don't know if it is because it is light in color or the material.

I have been reading on what better materials to use and I don't know whether half inch thick slate tile or one and one eighth inch thick cement paver blocks. I can also get 2 inch thick slabs of granite from a road construction company, as well as "artificial" stone.

I've been reading up on specific heat capacity and thermal mass and conductivity of materials and dark color absorbing more radiation etc. and quite frankly my head is spinning. Any scientists here?

Consequently, how far in inches are your heat lights from your tegu's back? I am not talking about the distance from fixture to floor. I am talking about from the highest part of the lizard when laying down, to the LOWEST part/face of the bulb.

Hi Anthony. Welcome back. Long time no see. I like using the big dark colored slates/stepping stones (they are thick). They hold heat well and they have a bit of a ruff surface. This helps to file down the their nails. I can't remember how far the bulb is from the our Tegus back. It's been a while I measured it. I can't do it right now because they are sleeping. Here is a photo of the slate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dark...es%3B223%3B300
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Not sure where to get those kind of stones. Do you know if cement or concrete is better or worse? What about granite? I have yo stick to what I can get.

How about the distance between light bulb lowest point and the rock itself then?
    Last edited by Anthony; 02-18-2015 at 05:59 PM.

i use marble it hows heat vary well. get a piace about a 'in thick and it hold heat for about an hour after the lamp is off. less if the cage is humid
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.

I got some at Walmart and some at Home Depot.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You could use concrete and mix it with black sand or concrete dye.