Thread: Baby tegu taming

Default Baby tegu taming

I have had it for a long time now by that i mean a couple monthes my cage is perfect lighting is perfect i have had tegus before but this one i cannot seem to get to calm down. I know i have read about the hands off way but that has never worked for me. everytime i get in the cage she hisses up and whips at me. if i lay my hand down with a glove on she will climb right on it and i can get her out of the cage. the room i keep her in is huge and full of little places she can crawl into and i will never find her again. So my question is how do i let her roam around to get used to me? need help asap girlfriend loves the tegu but is scared to get near her. any tips and tricks? willing to do just about everything

Hi Mistahken. I'm sorry for the late reply. If you want to you can try the bathtub trick. You can sit in the bathtub and let your Tegu crawl all over you. Just in case she does get out of the tub please make sure there are no holes she can get to like behind a sink. Someones Tegu did this and got stuck inside the wall. We had many Tegus before. Right now we just have three of them and a black throat monitor. I held all of them since day one. Yes, some of them were a bit skittish the first few days but calmed down very fast. If she doesn't bite you can try my shirt trick (video below). This is how I tamed them all down from day one. Most of the time they went right to sleep because they like to hide between the shirts and it's nice and warm in there. I put on the shirt so I don't get scratched up and the hoody is for them to hide under. Or if she is to big for this you can try what I did in the second video. Good luck and please keep us posted. Thank you.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I watched them same videos! i did the bath tub one and she did not crawl on me at all. she will crawl on my hand when i lay it down in her enclosure but if i even try to touch her or pet her she whipss and hisses at me. i've thought about building a carboard fence in my room and letting her explore with me sitting in it. Any ideas on that?

Your idea sounds good. When you pick her up do you pick her up from the top or do you put one hand underneath her and scoop her up ? Sometimes when they are being picked up from above they feel threatened and go into the defense mode. If you scoop her up try to support her legs/feet, too. Most of them when they don't have their legs/feet supported they will tail whip to keep their balance.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I always lay my hand in there and let her come to me. Never from the top she always just climbs right on

How are things going with her now ?

Our videos :