Thread: Introducing tegus to each other

Default Introducing tegus to each other

I have now kept tegus for about 10 years and am no stranger to their care. I have had no problems in the past introducing tegus to each other and know about size differences, neutral territory etc. I had one tegu which was slightly smaller and got picked on a bit before, but I separated him till he got bigger and slowly introduced to the others again and it was all fine again. All of my tegus have lived together for many years now with no problems whatsoever, until these few days.

I have acquired a new male red. The boy who kept him had to give him up because his parents did not let him keep him anymore. He came as represented, an adult, well fed red male tegu in good health except for some stuck shed, that was tame and was comfortable with human interaction and didn't bite people. This is all true.

The problem is that he would bite and attack any other tegu. Big, small, male, female, doesn't matter. Anything with 4 legs and a tail, he bites, hard.

I have separated him into a 6'x6', which is bigger than the standard 8x4 for a single tegu. It's all I have for him now.

I'm prepared to keep him separated, but would really like to try get them to get along. I think this is possible, because some tegus I had would bite ME, not other tegus, but they eventually calmed down with lots of love. I don't see why this can't happen for other tegus. I just need a bit of help from you folks. I can't work on them at all as he would charge and bite any other tegu on sight.

It seems nowadays that less and less people come to these forums. I used to make a post and it would be on the second page by the next day. Now, posts that I make weeks or months ago is only a few posts down.

Hi Anthony. I'm glad you are still here. I'm sorry this forum is so slow now. It's because everyone is on Facebook now. I still like this forum because it's more calm. This is why I kept this forum. Congrats on your new Tegu. I'm sorry I can't help you with this. I keep all of our Tegus (3 of them ) in separate enclosures. I let our Argentine b/w Leonidas and our Argentine b/w Zeus (who is just a bit older than Leo ) free roam around one time a few years back. Zeus bit Leonidas in the leg (he wasn't hurt). Leonidas just walked away. But since that day on I didn't put them together any more. I have never tried it with our male blue/red hybrid (Spatzi). He can be a bit wild at times.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Hey Anthony....i haven't been active in a long time now but I've got tons of experience with tegus and some just aren't ok with others and it may sound weird but it's true. I've had tegus be completely calm , loving and everything great to me and others but when it came to other animals and lizards they weren't friendly at all. The first problem will be the size difference...if the aggressive tegu is bigger than the others it'll automatically just attack or even try to eat it and If the size difference is great it can happen. I've never housed tegus or any other reptiles I kept together because you'll never know what can happen and all it takes is for something to trigger one and the other will be in trouble due to the fact they're both in the same cage and get away from the aggressive one. They'll end up with missing fingers , toes , tail and sometimes worst. When I had to introduce lizards I always did it in a open area with nothing around that can harm them so no one gets hurt and no one feels territorial since it's somewhere that's not their cages. I'll let them walk around and see how they react towards one another and if they're ok then just keep a close eye on them and start to touch them and spend time with them as well so it sort of breaks any tension that could start to build. If you see any tail wagging , huffing and puffing , mouth opening or sudden charging (running fast) then separate them and just let them be until time passes and you wanna try again if you'll like. Hope this helped
    1.0 Blue Tegu

Hi KsTaR. Welcome back. Long time no see. It's very nice to see you on here. Do you still have your Tegu ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

hey Anthony i only have one tegu. so i dont have much to say for them but i have had many reptiles and pairs of them in most cases i never let them roam with each other because the older/bigger of the two will take over the space for them self's or just think its there space and there space only.

but then i have had some be just fine with each other with no care in the world. just depends on the reptiles.

as for not being on here much ive had nothing to post or ask about. ive been planing on posting vids of my naga but she has been asleep for some time now. she has been up here and there but not much
    The ones you love, truly love, Never die. You keep them with you, and like this you keep them alive.