Thread: New gold tegu need some suggestions.

Default New gold tegu need some suggestions.

Okay so I adopted a gold tegu, he/she is around 18 inches long and semi tame. He came with a 55 gallon tank.. I hate the tank, its just so narrow and tall and heavy.. I have one of those christmas tree tubs from walmart that was used for a boa constrictor and has mesh top with a ceramic heat emitter on it. It is the same length of 48 inches but is a few inches wider. I cant decide which to use for his home for now. The tank is easier for me to open for taming. The tub is a pain and the whole top has to come off each time and its opaque so he cant get used to us as easily.

Any suggestions?

Hi CRG. Welcome back. I'm sorry for the late reply. Congrats on your new Tegu. Since you have mentioned that the tank is easier for you I would stick with that. I do recommend putting some aluminum foil on it and tape it on the lid. This way it will hold the humidity better. But do leave a area open so some air can get into it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for your reply. The tank has a homemade lid that is half wood and half screen so it holds in heat. He has a humid hide with dirt/sand mix in it as well.

After feeding this guy for the first time I realize the tub would be a disaster as he could easily leap out. He almost leaps to the top of the tall tank. He has been fed live in the tank so Ive got a load of work to do to find a way to train him not to be so food aggressive. Not sure if thats possible with a gold tegu or not. I sure as the heck not going to put my hand in there to put a bowl down.
    I used a snake hook which he promptly bit and while he was chewing away on that put in the bowl..LOL

Your welcome. Wow, this sounds scary. I wouldn't want to put my hand in there either lol. If you want you can try feeding him some frozen/thawed rodents. I get mine in bulk from Rodentpro.com. You could get a dark colored bin. Put some holes in the lid. Put the frozen/thawed rodent into the bin. Then put your Tegu into the bin and put the lid on. It will feel to him like he is in a hiding place and will feel save and not so stressed out. It helps a lot to bring the Tegu to the food and not the food to the Tegu. The lid will also keep him from jumping out. In case he doesn't like to eat the frozen/thawed rodents what you could do is get a life one and rub it against the thawed one. This helped with my snake. Or you can not give him any food for two days ( so he gets very hungry ) and then give him the frozen/thawed rodent. When he is hungry enough he will eat it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl