Thread: Rick, I was looking at your photos...

Default Rick, I was looking at your photos...

and noticed the rescue Snapper pics. How long have you had the snappers? We got our first snapper rescue about a month ago and had to do some quick research. This guy is really tiny but he's doing very well and eating and gaining weight. I have no idea what we will eventually do with it but it's darned cute!!
    Mid Michigan Reptile Rescue and Rehabilitation
    www.michiganreptilerescue.org

Look for us on Petfinder.com!

They are about 4 months old. They hatched just as it was starting to get cold here. Since they were late hatchers my son brought them home and we are caring for them until the weather warms and we can release them back where they came from. Snappers here are laid, hatched and eat to put on some weight and do this before it's too cold. It's my opinion that these two would not have made it in time. When it first snowed these two snappers were just starting to get hard shells.

When they were young I fed them soggy turtle pellets, shrimp pellets and fresh live brine shrimp (shut the filter off first.. lol). As they got larger I started on crickets, mealworms, superworms, guppies, goldfish, ground beef and turkey. I add calcium and vitamins once or twice a week and I use UVB on them.

I only handle them when its time to breakdown/clean their tank and I often take some pictures. They have no interest in biting me, but if they tried I would not discourage it. They are wild and I want them to remain wild so they have a better chance when released back to the wild.

If you have any questions I will try to help, but these are my first two rescued snappers as well.

Rick
    theTegu.com