Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taming Update

Default Taming Update

I can report an improvement with Atticus's taming process. He acts like a typical little Columbian. When I approach his cage, he raises his body off the floor or his cage. Inflateing his body with air, to make himself look bigger. He does this to intimidate me. It doesn't work. He continues to breath real loud, making huffing and puffing type sounds. This type of behaviour amuses me. I laugh at him. The biggest problem with handling him, is actually getting him out of his cage. He is very fast and difficult to catch, (without hurting him). At first I was scared to handle him. Not for fear of being bit, but hurting his small fragile body. I've gotten over this. The first day when I held him, he opened his mouth, and tried to bite me when I tried to rub his head. This behavior lasted only one day. When I first get him out of the cage, he will squirm violently, trying to escape. I transfer him from hand to hand, so I don't break his little bones. He will continue to make huffing and puffing sounds. He will contiue to have quick temper tantrum bursts, trying to escape. These temper tantrums last about 5 minutes, before he realizes he can't escape and stops! After weeks of handling. I've noticed a improvement with his temperament. The huffing and puffing is down to a minamum, as well as his squirming temper tantrums. He still does not like to be pet and will begin huffing. He has become semi tolerant of being handled. He is able to rest on my hand or arm without escaping. However, sometimes when he is being chill, he will make a break for it! This has happened a couple times. He is lightning fast! All in all. I'm pleased with his improvement in handleing. He is semi tolerant of being handled, but has a long way to go! His taming process has been put on hold right now, since the begining of winter he has been (hibernateing)

That's great. It's good to hear everything is going in the right direction for you and your tegu.

Be sure to keep us posted on future changes!

Rick
    theTegu.com

I get open mouth and mock charges from my male albino!!! I love it!!! LOL!!! Only me....they are calm when out, I don't handle them much. Everything is about to change. When they go into this new MASSIVE enclosure (and look like needles in a hay stack!!!) I'll give them aprox 2 weeks to settle in. The bad thing is they are small...could take an hr or more to find them if they bury in!!!
    John

u sound like me when i try to handle my columbian tegu(escobar)....he is fast i still have to keep him in my hand cause if i don't he makes a break for it. lately he has let me rub him on his chin and head which is cool. just as long as i don't try to pick him up thats when he gives me a little fight and like u i am happy with my little guy.

my small b&w aint to pleased with me yet either, altou it never tried to bite and does not hiss at me.
    She does close her eyes when padding, but does NOT likes handling..if i let her have her way she jumps on the ground i think.. bad idea because i am 6.4 and we never find it again if she does :p

I realy hope she will grow to enjoy it soon though...
    http://img65.exs.cx/img65/9038/sig21et.jpg
    0.0.1 Tupinambis merianae (Argentine B/W Tegu)
    1.0.0 Tupinambis rufescens (Argentine Red Tegu)

My tegu still huffs like crazy when hes held or touched, but never actually makes any attempt to escape or show aggression. I think its probably his way of warning me that he keeping an eye on me, lol

My albinos have come along way. I now handle them whenever they are out and about. Usually they will stand straight up but that just makes it easier for me to slide my fingers underneath them lol. Sometimes I'll get huffying and puffing while they are in my hands. I haven't had any open mouthed mock charges in awhile which makes me happy!
    John

Default tegu handling

I know what you mean. My Tegu is very fast, and very sneaky. I still have to keep a close eye on him. Just when he is being chill, he will freak out and make a break for it! He is fast, but not faster than his master! Maybe someday he will learn, he can not defeat my spidey-like reflexes! I'm waiting for the day for him to be big enough, for me to feel comfortable letting him go on the floor. Columbians are a handful!

Default My Columbian B&W Tegu

i have to admit that Columbian tegus really get a bad reputation. Mine is about 12 months old, and has never bitten or whipped me. At first he huffed, but after just a few sessions of gentle handling every day, he now is extremely friendly. I can pet him all over, as he will sit and nudge against my palm of my hand, and he even runs over to the door of his cage and licks my hand, trying to climb on it. He also loves to be held and will climb all over me. The interesting thing i found out about him was that he recognized me by scent, so if i didnt let him smell me first, he would huff a little bit. Truthfully, he is an amazingly intelligent and wonderful animal.

yah gonzo still has his bad days but he still rockz Brianna ho big is he?
    0.2.0 German Shepherds *Khoda* & *Keara*
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 normal corn *seismo*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*