Thread: Common Chuckwallas (sauromalus obesus) info anyone?

Default Common Chuckwallas (sauromalus obesus) info anyone?

Heya,
    I was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience with the common chuck Im looking at the future when my tegu will be moved to his adult cage, and I will have a 5'x2'x2' going spare... My local rep shop has a pair of these and they are beautiful, if a little expensive. Anyone care to comment?

Alternatively, if anyone has another suggestion as to what I could put in this cage I would be most grateful It just really ideas for the future, as I would like to work with another herp, preferably a pair of something. My other plan was to add another 2' to the height and get a pair of Eastern WDs, but I think the set-up may be too time consuming. Anyone let me know what you think.

For reference, I have a bearded dragon as well as my tegu, and would prefer not to get other beardies at this point

WD= waterdragon??
    I did some reading about chuckwalla's and I think they are great!
    For a long time I thought I would either get a chuckwalla or skink..or beardie...
    Then came the tegu's and well now all I want is an iguana...rino or green... not sure yet, I didnt do any research on the rino's yet..
    But still chuckwalla's are great...sigh...next thing you know you'll have me doubting again!

Edit:PS: wat about a nice tortoise?
    Sorry I'm just crazy about my four toe Gertie :oops:
    1.0.0 T.rufescens
    0.1.0 T.merianae
    1.0.0 Testudo horsfieldii
    1.0.0 Stenodactylus sthenodactylus
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys ornata
    0.0.1 Geocholone elegans
    0.0.1 Python regius
    2.0.0 Mustela Putorius Furo
    0.1.0 Bouvier des flandres

Quote Originally Posted by Brisamen
    WD= waterdragon??
    I did some reading about chuckwalla's and I think they are great!
    For a long time I thought I would either get a chuckwalla or skink..or beardie...
    Then came the tegu's and well now all I want is an iguana...rino or green... not sure yet, I didnt do any research on the rino's yet..
    But still chuckwalla's are great...sigh...next thing you know you'll have me doubting again!

Edit:PS: wat about a nice tortoise?
    Sorry I'm just crazy about my four toe Gertie :oops:
    Lol your tortoise is so cute I prefer lizards personally, though my mum would love it if I got a tort...heh. Ideally I would love one of the cyclura like Jiffypops - either a Grand Cayman hybrid or a Cuban (or perhaps even a GC hybrid containing Cuban genes ) but I wont have space or money for such a project for ages - and until I can find a UK breeder I think thats more of a dream

Yeah WD is water dragon, sorry The chucks have been in the store for a while though so Im a bit worried I dont know how old they are :/ They look like a healthy pair though. Thats the problem with my store - they always have so many different species in, I can never prevent being tempted :oops:

Default chucks.

Sounds like you work in a decent pet shop. Personally I've never seen a Chuckwalla in a pet store, or at a show. I would say they are uncommon were I live. I've never known anybody to own one either. I'm familar with them though. They live in the southwestern states, in the dessert. I don't beleive they are found in the wild, in any other country? I believe they peek out at 3 to 3 1/2 feet. I do remember hearing about this guy, keeping one as a pet. He said it had a good temperament, and made a good pet.

you need a good monitor.

Chuckwallas are interesting lizards to keep but here are a couple more suggestions...

Egyptian Uromastyx
    Desert Iguanas
    One of the Spinytail Iguana species (awesome looking, can be a challenge to tame)
    Ackie monitors ( a true monitor in a minature package! LOL)

The choices are endless, really. I love my Egyptian Uros as well as my Desert Iguanas. The Spinys can be a handful but are gorgeous and quite interesting to watch. Have fun, whatever you decide.
    Mid Michigan Reptile Rescue and Rehabilitation
    www.michiganreptilerescue.org

Look for us on Petfinder.com!

Yup uromastyx are great too...and I thought they could be tame quit a bit also..

@ jiffpupy: Those iguana's you mention aren't they a bit big for the enclosure mentioned? (just wondering, dont know anything about them...yet :P)
    1.0.0 T.rufescens
    0.1.0 T.merianae
    1.0.0 Testudo horsfieldii
    1.0.0 Stenodactylus sthenodactylus
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys ornata
    0.0.1 Geocholone elegans
    0.0.1 Python regius
    2.0.0 Mustela Putorius Furo
    0.1.0 Bouvier des flandres

Default Re: chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by James_James
    Sounds like you work in a decent pet shop. Personally I've never seen a Chuckwalla in a pet store, or at a show. I would say they are uncommon were I live. I've never known anybody to own one either. I'm familar with them though. They live in the southwestern states, in the dessert. I don't beleive they are found in the wild, in any other country? I believe they peek out at 3 to 3 1/2 feet. I do remember hearing about this guy, keeping one as a pet. He said it had a good temperament, and made a good pet.
    I dont work there - I just spend too much time there buying food and lights! Theyre the only pair I have seen for sale; everywhere else I have been has had dab lizards which look kinda similar but are uglier IMO, lol The bigger species can get to a couple of feet in length, but the common chuck averages around 18" Ive heard.

They do have a ridgetail at another store thats a slightly longer drive from me...Hmm, maybe I should look into those as well..? Heh. Do the ackies tame up well generally? They have a spiny in my local store as well coincidentally enough, but I thought they would be a bit too much for me - but good practice for my (eventual) cyclura...