Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

depending on the size of the tegu, and from the pics it didn't seem to be that big, for now I believe 2ft would be perfectly fine, just watch your temps and give him enough to burrow in. If you have anymore questions make sure you ask. :wink:
    -Art-

It will for a while, just be careful about where your lights are mounted at. At that height he may be able to get to them, so you make sure you put chicken wire around it so he cant hit it and burn himself

ill just spend £15 more and make it 3ft high, dont want him to get burnt, gotta buy loads of cypress mulch!!! to fill a 6ft tank hehe

if he poops do i just scoop it out and not refill the whole mulch? im scooping at the moment, but he does lots of wee's (white bits)

Spot clean it as he goes, however you will still have to periodically change the substrate as well - Getting him to go somewhere other than in the enclosure "Such as the tub", will help keep your substrate fresher...

Feel free to use all the forums on this board to start new topics or pose questions as some may skip over a lengthy welcome thread :wink:
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

he does it in the tub i bath him in, farts a lot too the smelly bugger! lol.. found out Orchid Bark is like cypress mulch and i have some at home!

Is orchid bark safe????...it's made from some pine or fir tree bark...it has an odor so i didn't know if it was safe.

ah my cypress mulch arrived today. its a bit spikey if i press my hand down on it, so hope its ok for drake

he loves it! has burried himself, keeps playing around in it so im happy he seems happy

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

He will be fine, they have rough skin, a lot of us use it and I don't know of anyone who has had a problem, some people mix it with other stuff, such as, but not limited to, bed-a-beast, peat moss, and some other smaller, more dirt-like substances and they like the look a little better, I guess it's all personal preference. glad to hear drake is happy. :wink:
    -Art-

i put a good 4 inches deep for him to use it, woke up this morning and he had buried himself in it, was a bit worried so i got him out after a bit of hissing, and he was stone cold! might consider putting a heat mat under the tank for keep him warm at night, because he really was cold!

Quote Originally Posted by jb
    Is orchid bark safe????...it's made from some pine or fir tree bark...it has an odor so i didn't know if it was safe.
    Thats an interesting question - its marked massively here for reptiles I must admit. I personally havent had any problems, but youre probably right to be suspicious. Then again, I havent noticed any odour from mine so maybe its something else..? A bit worrying.